Race with an SRT-4

OneFastBird

A guy in my town just bought a new SRT-4 and he has a intake and after market blow-off valve on it. I have a 94' 5-speed with 76mm mafs, 85mm t-body, 3.5" intake, MP Inlet, S-model SC, 5% pulley, inlarged sc top, and a fan for the inner cooler. The only reason that I haven't raced him yet is becuase my car is curently down, but there is alot of people in my small town that are really looking forward to this race. Just wondering what you guys think my chances are and if you have raced any SRT-4's. I'll be sure to post mine up here as soon as I do race him, hopefully next week.

friend of mine has one bone stock and he runs 8.5 in the eighth mile, dunno what that equates to in the 1/4 just food for thought

well i whooped the **** out of one in the 1/8th mile once and ran around a 9.3 or so. Not saying it would happen again but it depends how good a driver he is

I can see why the race is anticipated....I would love to see it as well. What other mods do you have? I sure hope exhaust. Do you also have gears? It sure looks like you are within striking distance of 13's...it just depends on if you can drive it there.

Your friends SRT4 is also good for 13's....but again, if he can drive it there is a different story.

I would need more info to make the call, but as of now the SRT has the advantage. Those buggers are good for 100 mph trap speeds whereas your SC....eh.....I dunno? It might have a 99.9 or a 100 somewhere in there. Basically, your SC might have enough for the right circumstances to put you on top. Get a video of it!!!!

Micah

P.S. This is all writen under the impression that you are taking it to the track. If you are doing it around town, DO NOT RACE FROM A ROLL. He'll should soundly embarass you from any kind of a rolling start.

I forgot to say that I do have Borla cat-back exsuast, new double platnium spark plugs and 8.5mm wires, 255 size fuel pump. I do not have gears yet and I'll also be running on street tires. There's no doubt about it that he can drive, so it's going to be one **** of a race. There will more than likely be a video of it. I've seen him race before, it looks real fast, but it has nothing off of the line. I'm hoping that I can get some traction and get a good lead on him off the line, that's probaly my only chance to beat him. I will post more up when I actually do race him.

food for thought against the srt-4

hey i had a 90 sc with intake,headder,exhaust, gutted cat 5% pulley and got beat by a 00 civic si (b16a) with a jr racing sc running 8 lbs.. i owned him from the line..but he pulled late.. i had a bad clutch but not too bad..

i just totaled my boosted 91 ef-9 civic..b16a with an inlinepro turbo kit..set @7lbs..the b16a alone is at 147whp
(160bph) plus 70hp do the math.. i pounded sc's..by at least a full car lenght as worst.. my 90 sc left me tooo many times on the road side..so i became a tech for acura :eek: made parts easy to get too..lol

now im buying another sc..93 this time..im a sucker for a challenge.. im shooting for 12s..i dont care if its.12.999999

good luck against the srt.. with your tires..dont gun it you will spin..let out a few psi before u go..lol and as long as your launch and 2nd to 3rd gear shift is smooth you should have a decent chance.. :D

The thing is his SRT4 could run as good as 13.6 or 13.7. But if he goes up in smoke at the starting line....I doubt he can get out of the 14's. Likewise, your combo with BOMB traction should be good for 13's. But if you go up in smoke you'll only stumble around the mid/low 14's.

It's all about the launch, and if you can hook it up to get out in front....you'll be much better off. We all know how bad it sucks to try and REEL someone else in, then get side by side, then pass em. So you could have something for him.

Micah

I think you'll beat him soundly!
Those plugs and wires certainly put you over the top. I just hope he does'nt have any yellow stickers on his car hidden anywhere, everybody knows there good for at least 25HP. :p :p

This SRT-4 was running 13.7's and he ran a 13.3 after he let it cool down for a couple of hours and that was before he just bought his $800 exuast. It's going to be a little while before I race him.

Hmmm, I never would have guessed those were that fast. The SRT4 is a neon right?

There was one with a fartcan and removed hood at the 1/8 strip here, and that one was only running 9.8 ETs.

Didn't notice exceptional wheelspin either... Maybe he aint got it figured out yet??

Grant it, it was like 90 degree and 90% humidity at 11:00 PM... We were sweatin' our bawls off..

Most of the little compacts I see here are all slow... That neon being the fastest that night... There was an old beater station wagon outrunning that guy...

There was a pretty plane jane acura, (I think) that was pretty quick once.... Had no fartcan either...

yeah they stuck turbos on them. I hate being in my cobra having dodge neons running with me. No offense to the sc i really miss my old one but the cobras allready runs 13 stock and the neons run 14.1 stock. kinda scary having a 4 run with me. but my cars naturally aspirated for now.

OneFastBird said:
I do not have gears yet and I'll also be running on street tires.

In my opinion thats one of the cheapest upgrades us 5speed guys can get, and for relatively cheap. Find your self a low milage 96-97 thunderbird/cougar with a 3.27 track lok unit and swap it right in to your car. I believe the code is E or XE for a track lok 3.27, but i'd double check on that. I know tccoa has a chart for gears. 96-97 usually have the lowest milage, but you can also get them out of early automatic SC's (89-93). I got my pumpkin for $60 with about 70k miles i think. That will definatelly help!

Beware of modified SRTs!!
they can really embarass just about anything. I know a guy who has an SRT that ran 14.4s stock on slicks at 3500ft elevation, that would put him at mid 13s easily at low elevation.
With a bigger turbo, large FMIC, boost controller, etc... he runs 12.0 @ 120mph at elevation, putting him into the low 11s at low elevation.
My CMRE S2 with an AR on it (12.6 @109mph) outruns him to about the 1/8th mile after that he pulls on me hard to about a 6 car lentghs at the end of the 1/4.
Not all may be modified like this but Neon SRTs can kick some serious butt!

Back