is it possible for a fuse box to go bad?

wigglesrewind

so ive been battling the electrical demons ever since i bought my sc...first the heat/firm ride/rear defrost wouldnt work. finally figured out that the fuse wasnt making a good connection in the fuse box....after that my interior lights/power mirrors/keyless entry quit working. i took the fuse out of the fuse box and reinserted it and it came back on momentarily then quit again. the fuse light up in quick flashes like it was struggling to keep a connection and now i cant get it to make a connection at all. both the fuses were still good but i replaced them anyways just to be safe and now i cant get the fuses to make a connection in the fuse box....is this a problem with the box itself or with some other electrical circuits. also while i was inspecting the fuse box i found a disconnected harness and some cut wires by the clutch pedal. what do these control?

The answer is yes. If I remember right the fuse box is actually several small modules and any one of them could go bad. I had to replace the fuse to my brake lights and I remember nothing I did would get the fuse to make contact.

Turns out I could pull the whole piece out and replace it with one from another part of the assembly. It is hard to explain, but once you get under there you can see it.

Ira

I have found when say the dash lights or tail lights go out,
I pull the fuse, and twist the pins in opposite directions to make contact,
and sometimes even twisting them in the other direction works better.

thanks guys i will look into your suggestions! the heat still messes up now though. the climate control sensor that controls the speed of the blower motor is bad. anyone parting out a climate control mn12?? :D

I'd try twisting the fuse prongs first and then try adding one of those connectors used for an extra accessory. Sometimes the original fuse receptors get spread apart (typically when someone has added one of those connectors !!).
Jim.

i just twisted the prongs on the fuse and it makes a connection now, im getting some new female pins for the box but the ghetto mod should work for now. this site and the people on it are the best!

I've found that coating the pins with solder works better than twisting them, just use a very low heat iron, 25 watts.

Back