Help with Crankshaft Sensor (location?)

lowsc

OK i am atemping to change my crankshaft postion Sensor (CP) but after fallowing the generic info and what to do in the chiltons manual I cant seem to find it or I have the wrong wrong thanks to auto zone. I have diconected the neg off the battery then removed the water pump pully and belt as instructed by chiltons. I only see a large round shape electric something to the top left of the water pump and its not nearly the same as the new one i got from auto zone. I need to know where it is lacated what needs to be done to get to it and also what it looks like. PLease help asap car is not driveable untill fixed.

its at the bottom of front pass side mounted to timing cover next to crank

Attachments

• 0007-install.JPG
    0007-install.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
how to get screws out now?

OK first off thanks so much for the pic of the location would have never found it without it. Now im trying to get the screws out with out taking off the pully and harmonic balancer but cant seem to get any tool in there to do it. I believe its a 7/32 bolt and a socet seems to be to big and I cant find a wrench that is long and ageled any one know how to get in there to get bolts out. I think this is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do for something so damn small thanks alot ford.lol

Yes.. its hard. When I replaced mine, I used 7/32 and just delt with the fact that I could turn it about 1/30th turn at a time, drop the wrench, pick it up again and turn another 1/30th. All in the rain, I might add. Don't remove the HB, but its OK to remove the pulley if it gains you room. I think the actual bolt measurement is 5.5mm. I have a set of tiny tune-up wrenchs from Sears and thats the only place I've ever found that size. :)

why not remove harmonic balancer?

I seen it was sugested not to remove harmonic balncer? why? In all the post I have read about the crank sensor going bad many have discover that the reason was because of the harmonic balncer going bad. Can I tell if its bad with it still on? I also had read a sealent is need to put the new sensor on could someone please tell me what type and redomend a good brand I really dont want to have to change this again. I tried a 7/32 but it just ended up slipping and kind of rounding the head off Im going t o go get a 5.5 as sugested. Also I had read something about a certain thickness to have it spaced no idea what it is or where the space is?
Please help asap I was planing on removing the balancer today and repairing the sensor.

the balancer is so poorly made that by taking it off you just might ruin it. I had a similar problem.. the balancer didn't wobble at all and as a last resort, i took the balancer off and it was broken and had spun on the crank

If you plan...

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I suggest getting the BH balancer and installing it. I did this on my car because I saw the balancer STARTING to wobble. Ever so slightly it was moving and decided to be pro-active and replace it.

Easy fix and it was $325 for the balancer. Since the stock one is that price, the BHJ is the way to go.

Just my .02

Don

Back