Supercharger top bolt hole repair?

Salty

I recently discovered while reassembling my intercooler tubes and supercharger top that the previous owner had repaired 3 of the 4 bolt holes for the top with heli-coils. It appears he did a poor job of it too. The heli-coils all broke apart before the bolts were even close to torque spec. The remaining holes have no thread whatsoever left. My question is whether I should attempt to use new heli-coils to repair this or if I could fill the holes with a "JB weld" type epoxy, then drill and tap them back to the original size. Has anybody performed this repair? Thanks.

I haven`t personally done this exact repair but I would remove old heli-coils and drill and tap as nessisary and re-instll new ones, I wouldn`t use an epoxy because the strength and heat they will be subject to will cause you nothing but trouble down the road (Can you say vac-boost leaks :D )

Thanks
Garett

If you do tap it don't break through the case or you will be in big trouble. I would try to remove the old heli-coils and reinstall new ones. You will need to use a bottoming tap.

Jeff

Back