Best oil to use in a 5spd?

ebodycab

I have a 89 SC 5spd. What is the best oil to use in a 5spd?...why does it use automatic trans oil in a manual trans? Thanks...!

I hear cold shifting is easier with ATF than gear oil. I use B&M trick shift synthetic plus friction modifier. Expensive but it shifts fine and I figure it's not going to be changed that often so I might as well use good stuff.

I use Royal Purple SynchroMax.

From the RP web site. Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify automatic transmission fluid, multi-viscosity motor oil or straight grade motor oil.

I've been using Synthetic 5W/30 motor oil with friction modifier for the last year and a half with great results.
FYI... Ford used ATF in almost everything :eek:

Dirtyd0g said:
I prefer GM syncromesh fluid.

The name for that is GLS, I believe. Been awhile since I used it, it was byfar the best gear lube I've used. Its just a touch on the expensive side though.

I've had great success over the years with Redline MTL + their synthetic friction mod (expensive at $8 qt, but very good stuff). My '90 SC at 246,000m had no trans problems or noise and, my '93 with 205,000m is the same. Currently Redline recommends their D4 synthetic ATF, probably due to better cold weather shifting; but I had no problems with the MTL gear oil and I think the protection is better.
Jim.

Joisey Jim said:
I've had great success over the years with Redline MTL + their synthetic friction mod (expensive at $8 qt, but very good stuff). My '90 SC at 246,000m had no trans problems or noise and, my '93 with 205,000m is the same. Currently Redline recommends their D4 synthetic ATF, probably due to better cold weather shifting; but I had no problems with the MTL gear oil and I think the protection is better.
Jim.

I'm using regular Mercon V with no friction modifier. No problems.

I run the GM Synchromesh in my racer's 5spd. It speed shifts great. The blockers last for 2 years of racing with the ATF so I'm curious to see if they will last longer with the Synchromesh.

Sorry to drag this out of the mothballs but I was wondering if the GM Synchromesh you are referring to is the same lube recommended for the NV3550 5-speed. I replaced the original 3-speed in my 75 Bronco last year with an NV3550 and it works great even behind a pretty stout 393 Windsor stroker. Anyway, back to the oil...When I was trying to find oil for the NV3550 I discovered that Autozone sold Pennzoil Synchromesh for $4.99 per quart. This is shown on the container and it matches the requirements for the NV3550:

* For use in manual transaxles and transmissions requiring GM Part No. 12345349 or 12345577 and Chrysler Part No. 4874464

* Meets GM Specification 9985648 and Chrysler Specification MS9224

Assuming this oil could be used in the M5R2 would it also be necessary to add the Ford friction modifier?

Back