Air Filter & my messy idle

Lvcien

I've ran propane all over the engine, no major leaks detected... I was working on this with a friend of mine -- we shut off the car, and took off the air filter, and started it up... it started up at 800rpms then slowly stalled out, we put the air filter back on, and as it started, it went from 1100rpm's to 500 to 700rpms.. and doesn't stay constant but didn't stall -- I've searched these forums for a similar problem and didn't find out ... I've replaced the TPS, I attemped to clean the MAF -- I don't think the IAC is bad... any ideas? My motor mounts are also bad (I don't know if this could somehow affect the idle :rolleyes: )

Thanks

Chad

Bad motor mounts can cause a bad idle. If everything else has been checked then go ahead and change the mounts. If they are bad then they should be changed anyway, and go with the solid ones.

how does it mess the idle up

yeah i bought new ones from supercoupe performance last year just never got around to putting them on and tell me how does bad motor mounts mess up the idle just wondering

I had an intermittent idle, it would idle normal for a while then slow down. If you pumped the gas it would usually rev back up, but would occasionally die. It turned out to be the baffle on the fuel pump leaking. I went ahead and replaced the pump and bypassed the baffle using the high output kit (255 gph, I think) from mn12performance.com, I have not had any issues with the idle since then. To see if this is your problem, put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail. Mine was running a little over 20 lb (should be 40 to 45), and as soon as you turned off the key it bled down to 0 in a couple seconds. Normally, unless your injectors leak - or in my case the baffle, when the car is shut off most of the fuel pressure will be held in the rail, ready to start the car the next time.

Back