MAC CAI Installation Story

jonroe

I just finished installing my new MAC #3604 Cold Air Intake kit for my 93 SC stick. Mostly, it was fine except for a few unexpected difficulties.

1) No instructions, yer on yer own but it's not too hard to figure out.

2) Not enough hose clamps!! You need 7, they gave me 5. I had to re-use the MAF to Air Box clamp and I had to scrounge another clamp from my garage. Luckily, I didn't have to go to the store as I was working late Saturday night.

3) The air filter would not stay on the intake pipe in the fender. The combination of extremely smooth chrome on the pipe end (with no lip or anything) and a slightly greasy and slightly large rubber filter connector made it impossible to keep the filter on the end of the pipe reliably. I didn't want to take a chance of it falling off since it is a pain to have to open up the splash shields and fix it. So............I may have overdone it a bit but I decide to put a thin layer or Permatex #2 non-hardening gasket sealer on the filter coupling before tightening it down. I think that did the trick - I hope so. It may be hard to get it off next time but I didn't have a decent alternative. I think that MAC ought to make the filter fit tighter on the chrome pipe and they could put a lip on the end of the pipe for the clamp to work with - poor design.

But all seems well now. I will keep checking to make sure the filter stays on.

I'm a little concerned about water since the filter is pretty exposed in the fender. We had a lot of rain this morning and it got a couple of drops on it but no big deal. I will have to take care to stay away from big puddles though.

Note, there is plenty of room in the fender for the big 9 inch filter. It comes right up almost to the fog light mounting bracket.

Note, I found it necessary to remove the right front wheel and open up the fender well splash shields to get proper access to put on the ill fitting filter. Some have said you only need to take the front part of the shield loose but that just did not give me enough room to properly install the filter with both hands. The next time I need to get in there I will open up the shields again.

Thought y'all might be interested in first hand install info.

Jon

Jon, I wouldn't be too concerned about the water getting in, it's not really wide open there, you've got the bumper cover and the lower shrouding around it. I've had this setup on my 95 since they came out, ran it through the winter and everything else weather-wise up here in the Great White North with no troubles.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Ed,

What do you think about my having to "glue" the filter on? I was really frustrated that I couldn't get it to stay on. On thinking more about it, the next time I have it apart I will probably drill a small hole in the chrome pipe to be able to put in a safety screw through the filter collar and into the pipe. Have you had any problems with it staying on?

By the way, the sound is only a subtle change. When the blower is pushing hard now it is more of a higher pitched whine than the lower pitched "honk" with the stock air box sans air silencer.

Good to hear from you.

Jon

One more note...................

Some people have complained about other CAI systems coming loose in the engine compartment.

I can say that the MAC CAI will not come loose in the engine compartment. It is a very good fit, well done, and it ain't loose anywhere!

It sure looks good too!

Glue seems a little extreme. Wouldn't roughing up the contact surface with some emery cloth or sandpaper have been sufficient to give some bite to the clamp on coupler?

Well, it wasn't glue. I used Permatex #2 non-hardening sealer. And, no, I don't think sandpaper would have effectively roughed up that hard chrome finish sufficiently to make a difference.

Jon, if it's not fitting tightly, I think your idea for a small screw through the filter and the tube is a good one to be secure.

cheers
Ed N.

jonroe said:
Ed,

What do you think about my having to "glue" the filter on? I was really frustrated that I couldn't get it to stay on. On thinking more about it, the next time I have it apart I will probably drill a small hole in the chrome pipe to be able to put in a safety screw through the filter collar and into the pipe. Have you had any problems with it staying on?

By the way, the sound is only a subtle change. When the blower is pushing hard now it is more of a higher pitched whine than the lower pitched "honk" with the stock air box sans air silencer.

Good to hear from you.

Jon

If I have any complaints about the MAC CAI it would be that the dmaned 9 inch filter is a bit of a bugger to get on. I managed doing it blind becuase I did not remove th entire fender gaurd only the front part was loose. But hey it wasn't all that bad and I got the clamp on and it;s holding solid.

Les,

I tried doing the job by just loosening the fender shield in the front and doing it all left handed! No go. Would have worked if the thing would have fit more snugly on the tube. I think my filter was just a teeny bit big for the tube.

Anyway, I finally removed the wheel and took back the shield about half way by taking out the front screws and the top push plug. That gave me enough room to get both hands on the job to finish it.

Jon

Back