What should I do to this M5R2 before putting in in my SC? (pix)

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
This M5R2 came out of an xr7 with 108 or 112k miles...the car was in great shape all around, no hg failure...i really dont know why it was in the junk yard. In any case, i got around to poping the top plate of the trans today to check things out. The pix show the condition of the guts of the trans. What worn stuff should I look for? From my reading i gathered that when the fiber blocker rings are worn the space between them and the gear is really small. From what i can see (and correct me if Im wrong) the space seems to be pretty acceptable on this transmission...so that means that the blocker rings are in good shape (right?). If you guys have any observations about the trans please bring it to my attention. What else should i replace? The trans is going to get filled up with GM synchromesh fluid, im also getting a LUK clutch kit including slave cylinder, new trans mount.

I do have a few questions tho:
1-should i replace the gasket on the trans top? (last pic)
2- as you guys can seen in the 6th pic, theh spring that goes in the little shifter cup was not in place, does anybody have a pic of how its supposed to go?
3-should I replace any seals? any of the sensors in the trans? Now on to the pix:

trans1.jpg

trans2.jpg

trans3.jpg

trans01.jpg

trans02.jpg

The next two pics illustrate why a B&M shifter is a good investment. Out of all the shims and sockets that make up the stock shifter, this is what was left at just over 100k miles on a car that appears to have been babied all its life. You can also see where all the stuff goes.
trans03.jpg

trans04.jpg

trans05.jpg

trans06.jpg

trans07.jpg

trans08.jpg

trans09.jpg

I'd also like to clarify my goals with this trans. I think and hope that this transmission will last me only about two years, if not more, and thats why im not rebuilding it or getting a performance clutch. My current trans is really bad in pretty much all gears at this point, so I want this trans to last me for as much as possible while I do a full rebuild to the one coming out of the car . Thanx for any help and comments.

First unless you have driven the last car the trans was attached to you should expect the blocking rings are done. Putting a used transmission in without pulling it apart is gambling with your time and money. I have a How-To showing the M5R2 teardown and rebuild.

Rich

M5R2 Rebuild

Well Rich, i think im going to gamble with this one. Whatever it is im absolutely sure that its better than what i have now. Im thinking i will replace the input and output shaft seals. Anything else? After taking a quick look at things i might just rebuild the one that i take out way sooner than I thought...it looks much easier than I expected.

hey caifansc. i pulled one out of a XR7 with 108K miles on it. and boy was it in the best shape ever. goes into gears like a beauty. no grind or nothing. i think it was rebuilt. the best shifting ever!

darkstar_one said:
hey caifansc. i pulled one out of a XR7 with 108K miles on it. and boy was it in the best shape ever. goes into gears like a beauty. no grind or nothing. i think it was rebuilt. the best shifting ever!

Im hoping that this will be the case with this one....hehe, altho im not setting my hopes real high, its still going to be better than the one in the car now. But it doesnt hurt to dream! Anyways, did you replace anything when u put urs in?

i just replaced the slave cylinder and the rear main seal. thats it. and the oil of course. when i popped it open. everything was shiny. like brand new style.

Back