Transmission Flush??

mr2nice42

A Mechanic friend of mine with a 89 SC recommended that I have my Trans. flushed by one of the fast lube places. What do you guys think? I have a 92 with 70.000 miles. A good idea?? TIA

With that mileage, Yes. Good idea, but draining, if done propery, is just as good as a flush and can be done by yourself as long as you don't mind the big mess it makes.. You drain the pan, run the engine to get the excess in the lines pushed out by the pump, drain the pan some more and then drain the Torque converter. After all that, replace the filter and refill. 70,000 is almost ideal for when the change the fluid and should give your tranny another 70,00 worry free miles. All of this is done under the car, which is why it might be better to have it done. You can use a siphon hose if you don't like taking a Mercron bath. :cool:

or just watch yer local quick lube joints at night... they have a tendency to leave equipment outside... what a shame it is when that stuff turns up missing in the morning :)

anyway, i work for one of those quick lube joints. check around on pricing, i know the one i work for is now charging an arm and leg for the service and they arent even doing what they say they are doing. (they use the siphon hose when they tell you they are doing a full flush on it)

if you choose to go the the QL, then just watch them... if they do the siphon hose they only get maybe 4-5qts of fluid out....

I work at fastlube. i dont know about others but we completely flush it out. we pump out the old fluid and stop when we've pumped about 15 or so quarts (more if the fluid is still dirty). i would definetly watch them while they do it. i hate it when those pricks watch me :D

brucki15 said:
I work at fastlube. i dont know about others but we completely flush it out. we pump out the old fluid and stop when we've pumped about 15 or so quarts (more if the fluid is still dirty). i would definetly watch them while they do it. i hate it when those pricks watch me :D
That's replacing the fluid, not flushing the transmission. To flush you need a flow of clean fluid through the transmission.
Using either method - pumping or flushing - the filter is not replaced. So in my opinion you should drop the pan, drain the converter, and replace the filter.

J.D. said:
That's replacing the fluid, not flushing the transmission. To flush you need a flow of clean fluid through the transmission.
Using either method - pumping or flushing - the filter is not replaced. So in my opinion you should drop the pan, drain the converter, and replace the filter.

Yes, that is flushing. We pump clean tranny fluid through everything until it comes out completly clean.

brucki15 said:
Yes, that is flushing. We pump clean tranny fluid through everything until it comes out completly clean.
How can you flush it if there is only one opening (the dipstick tube)? To run clean fluid through everything, you'd need an inlet at one end and an outlet at the other.

When I used to work at Jiffy Lube they used a machine called the T-Tech. The machine holds 15qts of fluid. We hooked the machine up to the tranny lines, at either the tranny cooler or the tranny itself. We turned the car on, the car would push out the old tranny fluid while pushing in new fluid from the machine. It was like 90 bucks I think.

Stephen

thats how we do it too. but we use the connections at the radiator.
who said anything about a dipstick tube?

Well I had it done, man the fluid coming out was BLACK!! Thats how it was done they unhooked the 2 lines & back flushed it cleaning the filter Thanks for your responses!!

Back