wont start help

wayne heisler

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you all info. Parked my 90 sc
for a year. Got on the road again recently. Had that gas tank leak broke hose top of tank could not fill it. Had a mechanic do it who has worked on friends cars they said he was good. Ok fixed leak had him install new pump 155k on car. Everything cool drove car to work three days. Third day wont start towed back to same guy. He gave up said nothing he did. I told him about our cars normal bad things dis camsensor cranksensor. He said they all checked out good. The car does seem to be firing just wont run. Changed fuel filter and caught alittle gas in jar looking for water. Please help. Have weak yellow spark at plug wire top of motor. The mechanic did spend a long time trying to figure it out and did not charge me for that or the tow.

Thanks guys
wayne

If you have a weak spark, I would start there. The spark on a boosted car must be blue in color for good operation. Anything less the thing will blow out. Start with that. Swap the coil packs or check the resistance if you dont have another one. If you have a buddy with a v6-stang with a coil pack, the pre-99s (I think) will bolt up. If not, does your shift light come on when ya crank it?

Chris

thanks guys

I was going to asked again about my spark. I used the screwdiver in plug wire hole and held plug wire close and only got a yellow spark. Is this good or should I use a different method.

Last edited:
I would pull a plug wire off of a plug and install a known working plug in it, lay it against a good grounded piece of steel on the engine (not near anything that could catch fire) and get someone to crank the engine and check spark color (remember to check all 6 plug wires this way as to know if all are the same. then go from there.

Is your fuel pump kicking in? did you check your fuel pump relay?

Run your codes and see if there is any.

Garett

That is not a good indication either. Its tough to explain if you dont know how a combustion chamber works. If you buy a spark tester, it looks like a small spark plug with a clamp on the side. You use it because it already has the resistance built into it. Using a regular plug in an open atmosphere is not the same, espicallly with a boosted car.

Chris

Back