And the fun never ends!!!

tim

Well Frank and I , mostly Frank, pulled the heads off my car. No visible damage to the heads or cyclinder walls. So tomorrow I can pull the engine apart after I pull whats in the car out. All I came up with so far is way to much piston to wall clearance. How much I really dont know yet. Its always fun when you own a S.C. I got a whole 3000 miles on this engine. May as well put in a bigger cam and do some more head work. After all its going to be apart. Maybe I can get 3500 miles out of the next rebuild. Tim :D

got a big block for you

Tim I have a used but still good big block sitting here. I will be pulling it this week if I get the time.... You could always add that to the list and then you too could go fast.....LOL.......Rich

Rich I am going to have the heads checked and get the short block out and go from there. The big block idea is still there in the back of my mind. It really depends. If this thing was build with way to much piston to wall clearance as I supect it would answer a lot of questions. As long as the pistons are good its just a matter of getting another block and having it rebored and honed the right size. I want to get the valves unshrouded and go with a bigger cam. While I have the engine out its a good time to convert to the manual brakes and steering. I am trying to be real positive about the whole thing. If it was fast before now it will be a lot faster. Tim :D

Tim,

You will want to check the piston to cylinder wall clearance at the skirt when you take the pistons out. If you just measure at the top of the pistons, it will seem like a lot, especially with forged pistons. I was able to shove a shocking amount of feeler gage between my piston and my cylinder wall at the top but they measure the clearance at the skirt. The top of the piston is thick forged aluminum so it will be expanding a lot. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's your piston to wall clearance.

You said on the phone that you had oil all over the combustion chamber. Could be a few things.

How did your oil look? Was it thick and frothy like it had coolant in it? If so, could be a cracked block. Check it all out real good and you'll find more clues.

If I remember correctly, you had this thing running well last year, now it's acting up. If your piston to cylinder wall clearance was cut to large, it would have always had this problem.

Back