PDA

View Full Version : New Syncs for the M5R2

seawalkersee
05-29-2005, 01:26 AM
I was at a car show today talking with a mustang guy. We got on the subject of the M5R2. I told him that there were minimal parts available for these trannys and he gave me a number to a shop that is here local. He said if they cant get it they can build it. I told him that the synchros were not available with the clutch material on the back. He said this place can build it. I have not checked into it but my 3rd and 4th are going/gone so I will be checking into it. Anyone have anything I should ask or know about before I go there and get a price to have these things made? If it all goes well (I dont expect it too but I am not a lucky person), what kind of prices would you guys like to see for these parts? Is there a need for the colar and blocker plates as well or just the Sync that goes in front of the gear? Of course after I have it made I will try to get some sort of link set up so the rest of you guys can check it out and be in business as well.

Chris

XR7 Dave
05-29-2005, 11:45 AM
What we would like to see are carbon fibre lined rings. They will hold up to more abuse than the OE style. People would pay more for a ring that would stand up to speed shifting. I don't see much purpose in an OE replacement part.

seawalkersee
05-29-2005, 01:21 PM
What are the problems with the current replacement solid brass ones?

Chris

XR7 Dave
05-30-2005, 12:41 PM
What are the problems with the current replacement solid brass ones?

Chris They are notchy and won't shift fast for racing

seawalkersee
05-30-2005, 01:25 PM
By NOTCHY you meant that they will grind during speed shifts and have that NOTCH you must find when you shift?

Would the carbon fiber backing placed on the brass ring make it worth it to continue using the brass? Is there another material that you would like to see used instead of brass?

Chris

XR7 Dave
05-30-2005, 04:34 PM
By NOTCHY you meant that they will grind during speed shifts and have that NOTCH you must find when you shift?

Would the carbon fiber backing placed on the brass ring make it worth it to continue using the brass? Is there another material that you would like to see used instead of brass?

Chris :confused:

seawalkersee
05-31-2005, 02:54 AM
You said notchy. I dont know what you mean by that. As far as the carbon fiber goes, do we want that on the back of brass or stainless or what?

Chris

68COUGAR
06-09-2005, 04:47 PM
As far as the carbon fiber goes, do we want that on the back of brass or stainless or what?
I guess it would depend on what material the mating gear was made out of.

I'd like to see carbon fiber lined rings though.

68COUGAR

seawalkersee
06-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Dont worry...I have not forgot. I will have to go pull the other tranny this weekend. Then I will take the crappy one apart and see what I can get done.

Chris

89SCK@t
06-12-2005, 01:10 AM
What we would like to see are carbon fibre lined rings. They will hold up to more abuse than the OE style. People would pay more for a ring that would stand up to speed shifting. I don't see much purpose in an OE replacement part.

Not to hijack or anything, but I have a # to a performance tranny shop up in New York. Supposedly they do just about every transmission. Even Carbon Fiber blockers...I will be giving them a call on Monday.

Stephen

-Edit-

Nope Tallahasse...hopefully I spelt that right....

seawalkersee
06-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Thats cool. It has rained here since friday and I am not going to try to jack up a car in the middle of a field after a weeks worth plus of rain. If these guys can giter done then I will know what to expect from here. Maybe get a competative price for them.

Chris

gspacerant
06-12-2005, 05:07 PM
yea, if we could get carbon fiber lined synchro rings, that would be badass. I know i'd be in for a set of them; assuming they aren't horrendously expensive due to low volume of course. Well, i probably would still, would just have to save up a little money first. Keep on it please :)

seawalkersee
06-12-2005, 07:20 PM
It has been raining her since Tuesday, (I believe) and it just started again. I am trying to get this done for four reasons. 1)I like having third gear 2)The grinding sound going in means other parts are wearing 3)Fourth is grinding too 4)So I can sell it.

Chris

gspacerant
06-12-2005, 07:52 PM
gotcha, well, whenever you can/feel like it i suppose, but just keep us updated if you wouldn't mind. I would personally love to rebuild my tranny sometime and put new synchros in, mine are fine now, but would like new ones. I don't want solid brass ones though, and i work with carbon fiber lined synchro rings (medium duty trucks) and have seen what kinda force it takes to tear those up, i was impressed.

Also, in getting info about these, if you can, you might see if you can find out what process is used to bond the carbon fiber to the synchro ring, either a spray-on adhesive or if it is like strips. The strip adhesives tend to be more uniform in adhesive coverage, at least in mass production.

seawalkersee
06-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Gotchya

Chris:D

89SCK@t
06-13-2005, 08:30 PM
My reference didnt turn up crap. only stock replacements...and they were rude.

Stephen

seawalkersee
06-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Crap...that means the game is in my hands. I am going to try to get the car to my parents house so I will be able to work on it. This rain delay crap sucks. Sorry guys, I will get to it.

Chris

MikeKanterakis
06-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Don't dispair!!! :)

gspacerant
06-20-2005, 10:52 AM
any news on this by chance?

seawalkersee
06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
No. I will not be able to pull the tranny AT least for another day or so.

Chris

gspacerant
06-20-2005, 01:21 PM
ahh, gotcha. Well, i wish you the best of luck in getting your tranny out and to the shop :)

seawalkersee
06-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Not quite. I have to pull my spare from the other car and swap it out with the bad one. THEN I pull the thing apart and take the parts there.

Chris

MikeKanterakis
06-23-2005, 11:49 PM
OOOOoohhhh, it's big fun.

But, when you're done, and you know it's done right. AAAAHHHHHhhhhh!

Perfection.

seawalkersee
07-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Okay...the redneck came out in me today. There was a chain, a sawsall, a tree, a cumalong, and two dirt bag buddies. Five hours later, the engine and trans are out of the car. I pretty friggin pumped and cant wait till I see inside to make sure its okay to use while I rebuild the one that does not have 3 & 4. It should still be two weeks minimum before I will have news but this is a MAJOR step in that direction.

Chris

MikeKanterakis
07-03-2005, 09:35 AM
You'll need to make one of these.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59358&highlight=m5r2

seawalkersee
07-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Why? Does a regular press not suffice? Ohhhh and another question, Do the syncros in the f-150 trans have the clutching material on the back of them?

Chris

MikeKanterakis
07-03-2005, 12:31 PM
You need the puller to get the bearing off. Using a press would be akin to turning the house to remove the light bulb. You'll get it once you see the orientation of the bearing.

I'm not sure about the F-150 blockers. Rich has a great build up how to at MN12 Performance (http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/m5r2_rebuild/m5r2-rebuild-howto.html) .

seawalkersee
07-05-2005, 05:58 AM
Cool...Im not sure why this didnt show up on my email so that is why the delay on the reply. However, I have taken the cover off of the other tranny and it appears to be Okay but not super. The one that looks the worst is the number 2. I would rather not have 2nd then not having 3 & 4 grinding as I do now. Not to mention it locks itsself in 3rd at times.

Chris

92tbird04
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
If you do end up finding carbon fiber blockers, I too would be in for a couple sets. :)
Right now I have my trans. out and am planning on rebuilding. I will try to help out by checking out a couple trans. places around me.

MikeKanterakis
07-05-2005, 10:01 PM
what e-mail?

seawalkersee
07-06-2005, 01:21 AM
:confused: Is that for me? :confused:

Chris

MikeKanterakis
07-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I guess not. I just wasn't sure what e-mail you were talking about.

Did you remove the rear cover yet?

I didn't find a good way to de-tab the lock nut, so I just put a plumber's wrench on the lock-nuts and then hammered them off.

It's my home made pnumatic-lock-nut-remover. Pnumatic b/c I'm full of hot air. ha ha ha

seawalkersee
07-07-2005, 01:53 AM
No. I just removed the top cover to be sure that the gears and syncs were in fairly good condition. I dont want to put in a bad one to rebuild one that works better if ya know what I mean.

Chris

MikeKanterakis
07-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Given all the tollerances that need to be measured. You'll probably end up mixing and matching the syncros.

I ended up using the original reverse synchro because the new one ( along with the 5th gear synchro) didn't leave enough space for the reverse gear to spin freely.

I found that out after the tranny was back in the car.

i.e. How cum' the drive shaft only spins when the clutch is depressed???

BirdofPrey97
08-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Any update on the blockers?

seawalkersee
08-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Sorry, not yet. I have been REALLY busy and have not had a chance to install the tranny yet. I am still working on it though.

Chris

BirdofPrey97
08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Just wondering. Take your time. Thx for the update.

MikeKanterakis
08-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Wow, cool. It's back together? How did it go?

seawalkersee
08-03-2005, 11:40 PM
No no no. I have to put the spare in so I can rebuild the one thats in it. For now, its my daily driver and I was supposed to work on it these days off. However when you have training one day and an OT shift the next, it turns three days off into about a half day off. I am rapidly trying to get my white car done so I can stick the sc in the gayrage and stomp out some stuff on it like the manifold seal and new blower upgrade. The tranny is a priority though but I play it by ear for now. I want to have at least two days off in a row in case there is a problem. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that if I did not have bad luck I would have no luck at all. AND I GARONTEE that I can trump any story minus losing a limb or life of another...GARONTEE...

Chris

90XR7Cougar5spd
08-07-2005, 03:08 AM
I know you probly tired of everyone asking you about these things but i just got my tranny out tonight so i will be up for a set if the cost isnt outrageous, soo, Any update yet.

Thanks

Derek

seawalkersee
08-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Not yet. I understand that you guys wanna know. I feel bad because of all of the projects that have come up after I make this post. I will try to get it done in the next two weeks.

Chris

90XR7Cougar5spd
08-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I was down the other day talking to my tranny guy and we got on the subject of the 5 spd trannys in our cars, he told me that he would think that kevlar would hold up the best and would give the best performance for our trannys for racing and what not. What do yall think??

Derek

seawalkersee
08-14-2005, 09:55 PM
I dont know yet. I changed my direction in a bad way for the SC. I am sorry for you guys for that. I am getting my LX running so when I run into problems with the SC I can still have a car to drive. Its kind of sad to own three cars and have one that runs. So I am probably lookin a another week or so. The engine is in and should be running by tomorrow and on the road in the next week. After that I can focus on the M5r2. I also saw on hotrod TV yesterday a company that said they can fullfill your manual tranny needs. I am going to call their bluffs.

Chris

AverageJoe
08-24-2005, 05:29 AM
I know a guy here in San Diego that works at a clutch shop and he's got racing connections like you wouldn't believe. I'm going to call him in the morning and ask about synchros, blockers and other parts for the M5R2 for you guys. He may just know someone.

And if any of you are considering a clutch, he builds custom clutches in-house with excellent turnaround time (hours, not weeks or days) and I can vouch for the quality. Good luck with this fellas.

90XR7Cougar5spd
09-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Any word yet Chris????

Thanks

Derek

seawalkersee
09-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Nothin yet. I suppose I posted this a tad early but when I posted it I fully intended it to be a "this week" project. I am sorry I got your hopes up so early but I still plan on following up on it. I have run into a few snags on my v-8 that have pushed this back further then expected. I still hope to get this done WAYYYY before Christmas though.

Chris :o

MikeKanterakis
09-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Keep your chin up. Anyone on here who's done this before, knows that there's always a problem or 6 that turn up as you go along. Wait until you have to measure the clearances for the blockers and gears and thrust washers. You'll have to measure one, then order the proper washer from ford, then assemble that part, then measure the next one.

Just think how happy you'll be knowing you've put it all together yourself. :D

seawalkersee
09-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Thats not the problem. I have built t5s before and I know parts is parts. The problem is I dont have anything to go to this shop with and say "I NEED THIS AND SO DO 10 OTHER GUYS". The one that needs the parts is in my daily driver....Yeah....thats my second problem. After I get it out and the other one swapped in then I should be able to have both of emm running and THAT will be a good starting point to keep the wife happy. Then...the 4x4...

Chris

StupidFly
09-05-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm about to tear apart an M5R2 (actually, its sitting in the kitchen right now), would it help if I sent you the old synchros once I get them out?

Nigel

seawalkersee
09-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I really dont know. I would not want to put anyone out in the event that this ends up being a "no go" deal. I would like it if I could be sure that we could move forward but who knows. Thanks for the thought though.

Chris

StupidFly
09-06-2005, 08:31 PM
well, I'll be replacing the synchros and rebuilding the tranny regardless of whether or not this deal goes through. So I'll send you an e-mail or something when I get them out, and we'll see whether or not I should send them.

seawalkersee
09-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Address is seawalkersee@hotmail.com and we will go forward.

Thanks

Chris

ThunderCoupe
09-20-2005, 04:01 PM
so it's been 2 weeks... any news?

90XR7Cougar5spd
09-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Hey chris, ive got the old tranny out of my cougar sitting around, i found one locally and im going to pick it up. My old one needs new Sychs of course, the second gear is grinding, ill let you have it for.... 150 plus shipping??? Sound good? get back to me and we will discuss it more if you like. My email is Keeler21985@cableone.net

Derek

seawalkersee
09-21-2005, 02:40 AM
I already have two...I just need to get the BAD one outta the car. You comin to town for at least the race aint ya?

Chris

90XR7Cougar5spd
09-21-2005, 04:04 AM
I already have two...I just need to get the BAD one outta the car. You comin to town for at least the race aint ya?

Chris

Ok thats cool. Ummmmm you talking to me about the race? If so, what race? I am planning on making it too the shootout if i can get my truck problem sorted out, it likes to run really hott when going down the highway, got alot of miles on it (299,900) and i dont wanna put it under too much stress by driving it hot. I didnt preregister for the Shoot out but i still plan on making it down.

Derek

seawalkersee
09-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Borrow a car and preregister...IT HAS BENNIES...

Chris

90XR7Cougar5spd
09-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Bennies????? what the hell is that? i would preregister but i dont have a credit card or anyhting like that to do it with, if i did it would be by good ol snail mail, and i think the cut off on it was the 20th. Besides i dont really have the extra money to preregister, i gotta my my motor back from the machine shop when ever he gets done with it and it should be tom. or the next day..........

Derek

PS i should be there, its only about 3 or 4 hours away, i would be stupid not to go......

seawalkersee
09-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Bennies= Benefits

Chris

90XR7Cougar5spd
09-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Ahhhhh ic, gotta remember im just a lil hick boy so im not too up to date on these new sayings that are out there. Hell im only 20 and and i talk to people and they some stuff and im like what????? Explain it w/o the slang lol

Derek

ThunderCoupe
09-29-2005, 04:45 PM
So how has this gone?

seawalkersee
09-29-2005, 07:33 PM
I have made no progress because of the way personal life has gone thus far. However, you can get the gears from Liberty or Southern Gear. Do a search and you can get a set. They cost about $330.00 U.S. I am going to try to have the red car in the garage by the week post of the shootout and HOPEFULLY from there I will be able to move forward.

Chris

90XR7Cougar5spd
09-29-2005, 07:45 PM
I have made no progress because of the way personal life has gone thus far. However, you can get the gears from Liberty or Southern Gear. Do a search and you can get a set. They cost about $330.00 U.S. I am going to try to have the red car in the garage by the week post of the shootout and HOPEFULLY from there I will be able to move forward.

Chris

Chris is nothing more than a tease :p

Just messin with ya, i know how the whole personal life not going as planned, it sucks, right now, im in a delima, go to the shootout, or buy the rest of the parts i need for my rebuild..........

Derek

gspacerant
10-18-2005, 09:57 AM
im guessing there is still no real progress with this thang...

I just don't want the thread to die.

We need lined synchros :) Plan on probably rebuilding mine next summer, if i could get not solid brass synchros, that would be cool.

seawalkersee
10-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Do a search on here for Liberty Transmissions or Southern gear (I forget which) but they are SUPPOSED to have the fiber backed ones available. I just got back into town (again) today. Since I broke the tow righ in OKC, I have nuthing to pull the parts car away from the garage to let the 97 out. Once that is done, the SC goes in and the tranny gets swapped and the syncs can be taken down to see if they can build emmm.

Chris

MikeKanterakis
10-20-2005, 10:09 PM
The ones from Southern Gear are not fiber lined like the OEM ones. They are what looks like sand and glue. The original Ford ones are something that looks more like layers of pressed paper.

the Southern gear ones work great! Sorry, I haven't had the heart to abuse them though. so I don't know if they're RACE quality.

seawalkersee
11-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Here is the deal...I am ready to pull the M5 outta the red car. I lost 3&4 the other day so I had to get my v-8 back on the street. Now that its running again, I am going to do a few small upgrades to it. However, I will be doing the swap so soon (I hope) we should have something to post. I would hate for this to be five pages long and be told to piss up a rope.

Chris

gspacerant
11-05-2005, 08:04 PM
hah, good luck with that man, im sure a lot of us are hoping for a pleasant result from this.

seawalkersee
11-06-2005, 12:56 AM
Im keeping my fingers crossed. Last time I thought I had something, I felt like a jackhole as well. I never even got a response to the e-mails I sent. I know they went through but...well...ya know.

Chris