New Syncs for the M5R2

seawalkersee

I was at a car show today talking with a mustang guy. We got on the subject of the M5R2. I told him that there were minimal parts available for these trannys and he gave me a number to a shop that is here local. He said if they cant get it they can build it. I told him that the synchros were not available with the clutch material on the back. He said this place can build it. I have not checked into it but my 3rd and 4th are going/gone so I will be checking into it. Anyone have anything I should ask or know about before I go there and get a price to have these things made? If it all goes well (I dont expect it too but I am not a lucky person), what kind of prices would you guys like to see for these parts? Is there a need for the colar and blocker plates as well or just the Sync that goes in front of the gear? Of course after I have it made I will try to get some sort of link set up so the rest of you guys can check it out and be in business as well.

Chris

What we would like to see are carbon fibre lined rings. They will hold up to more abuse than the OE style. People would pay more for a ring that would stand up to speed shifting. I don't see much purpose in an OE replacement part.

By NOTCHY you meant that they will grind during speed shifts and have that NOTCH you must find when you shift?

Would the carbon fiber backing placed on the brass ring make it worth it to continue using the brass? Is there another material that you would like to see used instead of brass?

Chris

seawalkersee said:
By NOTCHY you meant that they will grind during speed shifts and have that NOTCH you must find when you shift?

Would the carbon fiber backing placed on the brass ring make it worth it to continue using the brass? Is there another material that you would like to see used instead of brass?

Chris
:confused:

You said notchy. I dont know what you mean by that. As far as the carbon fiber goes, do we want that on the back of brass or stainless or what?

Chris

BLOCKER RINGS: Brass vs. Stainless

seawalkersee said:
As far as the carbon fiber goes, do we want that on the back of brass or stainless or what?
I guess it would depend on what material the mating gear was made out of.

I'd like to see carbon fiber lined rings though.

68COUGAR

Dont worry...I have not forgot. I will have to go pull the other tranny this weekend. Then I will take the crappy one apart and see what I can get done.

Chris

XR7 Dave said:
What we would like to see are carbon fibre lined rings. They will hold up to more abuse than the OE style. People would pay more for a ring that would stand up to speed shifting. I don't see much purpose in an OE replacement part.

Not to hijack or anything, but I have a # to a performance tranny shop up in New York. Supposedly they do just about every transmission. Even Carbon Fiber blockers...I will be giving them a call on Monday.

Stephen

-Edit-

Nope Tallahasse...hopefully I spelt that right....

Last edited:
Thats cool. It has rained here since friday and I am not going to try to jack up a car in the middle of a field after a weeks worth plus of rain. If these guys can giter done then I will know what to expect from here. Maybe get a competative price for them.

Chris

yea, if we could get carbon fiber lined synchro rings, that would be badass. I know i'd be in for a set of them; assuming they aren't horrendously expensive due to low volume of course. Well, i probably would still, would just have to save up a little money first. Keep on it please :)

It has been raining her since Tuesday, (I believe) and it just started again. I am trying to get this done for four reasons. 1)I like having third gear 2)The grinding sound going in means other parts are wearing 3)Fourth is grinding too 4)So I can sell it.

Chris

gotcha, well, whenever you can/feel like it i suppose, but just keep us updated if you wouldn't mind. I would personally love to rebuild my tranny sometime and put new synchros in, mine are fine now, but would like new ones. I don't want solid brass ones though, and i work with carbon fiber lined synchro rings (medium duty trucks) and have seen what kinda force it takes to tear those up, i was impressed.

Also, in getting info about these, if you can, you might see if you can find out what process is used to bond the carbon fiber to the synchro ring, either a spray-on adhesive or if it is like strips. The strip adhesives tend to be more uniform in adhesive coverage, at least in mass production.

Crap...that means the game is in my hands. I am going to try to get the car to my parents house so I will be able to work on it. This rain delay crap sucks. Sorry guys, I will get to it.

Chris

Back