Intermittent squealing noise?

blksn8k

My 89 SC has started making this loud squealing noise. It does not seem to be rpm related so I am not convinced that it is the supercharger, water pump, belts or anything engine related. But it does only occur after driving a mile or so and while moving which means that everything is about at normal operating temps. I have only tried removing the main accessory belt so far but that doesn't seem to make much difference, especially since I can't get it to make the noise when the car is not moving and I don't want to drive it without the belt. I can't cause the noise by braking or turning. It just comes and goes at any speed. It doesn't seem to matter if I am accelerating or coasting. It's just a loud, intermittent squealing noise. The only thing I have done to the car recently was replace all four shocks. I suppose I could try to retorque the front wheel lug nuts but I was pretty careful when tightening them. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas? :confused:

Last edited:
i have....u better pray to god it's not what i had wrong with mine, i spun a rod bearing and scrambled my internals haha. sounded like a VERY loose belt times 30 or so haha, it was BAAAAD. hope that's not your problem!

LightEMup said:
i have....u better pray to god it's not what i had wrong with mine, i spun a rod bearing and scrambled my internals haha. sounded like a VERY loose belt times 30 or so haha, it was BAAAAD. hope that's not your problem!

Thanks, haha :rolleyes:

OK, I've narrowed it down to something in the frontend. From reading a few other threads I'm going to guess that it's in one of the wheel bearings/hubs. I'm hoping it's just a bent splash shield on one of the brake rotors but probably won't be that lucky.

Does it sound like a fan (house fan) with a bad bushing? Do you feel the car slow at all?

Jeff

Thanks anyway guys but I found the problem. You're not going to believe this but it was just the dust shield on the passenger side front brake rotor. During all the prying and cussing trying to detach the sway bar link when I was installing the new shocks I must have pushed against it. Once it had rubbed long enough to wear a smooth surface it pretty much squealed continuously. Whew! I feel much better now. :D Oh, by the way, those brand new Illumina II's I bought on e-Bay last fall for about half price work just fine. ;)

Back