PDA

View Full Version : what happens when you sc a non sc 4.6

sendeth
05-29-2005, 11:40 PM
here you guys go. my best friend supercharged a na 4.6 in a 2003 mustang gt. it ran great for about 9 months, which was expected. and before i hear "well, you have to tune it right", this mustang was tuned by a guy in rhode island, and 2 years ago he had the 2nd fastest mustang in the new england area. yes he had time slips, but he didn't race this year.

my point is that this car was tuned multiple times and tuned down to make the engine last. it was done by a pro who has has mustang shop in ri. and this is what happened because a normally aspirated engine (without forged parts) was supercharged.

i'm not writing this to argue. if you want to build a creation like my friend, go ahead. i researched supercharging a n/a cougar for about a year. it was easier to buy an sc. feel free to add how a friend did it and it is fine, because you are going to anyway. i have talked to just as many people who have had it blow up in their face. so when you want to know "what happens if i supercharge my normally aspirated engine???", well here are the pictures.

midgetchaser
05-30-2005, 01:16 AM
wow looks like someone took a 10 guage shotgun to that thing. :eek:

sendeth
05-30-2005, 01:54 AM
yeah, that piston looks like it would come back to you if you threw it. that pile next to it is another piston. by the way, this is the car it came out of. just to give you an idea of how nice it is so you don't think he's just an idiot putting things together that won't work. with the new engine he's up to around $60k.

Sweet90SC
05-30-2005, 02:00 AM
Wow...nice stang...what times was it making before kablooeeey.....

That one rod looks like my lower back... :eek:

sendeth
05-30-2005, 02:20 AM
not very good. around 14's because it wouldn't get traction until a couple seconds before you have to slam on the brakes. he would have to get people to ride with him just to get any traction. he's fixed a lot of stuff in the suspension since then, so it should be quick now. you can see the blower in one pic. it's a procharger. it'll have about 650hp at the rear wheels in about 2 weeks.

he's almost talked me into putting the same setup in my sc. it would still be a supercoupe with a 4.6sc, right???

AsScLoWn
05-30-2005, 03:13 AM
big deal

those engines are crap, crap pistons, crap rods, CRAPPITY CRAP CRAP CRAP...umm crap? :)

blksn8k
05-30-2005, 09:46 AM
A couple of observations: I am a little surprised about your friends choice of wheels. I know, I know, this has nothing to do with blowing the motor (pun intended) but those are stock wheels and I doubt he could get much tire under that car. Sort of adds to his traction issues maybe? I don't understand why anyone would invest 60k in a Mustang and still be running the stock rims.

As for the 4.6 being crap, it all depends on what you start with. If the engine is a garden variety 2-valve with hyperuetectic pistons and powdered metal rods you are probably asking for trouble by supercharging it. Run it lean one too many times and you get what you see it those pics. If, however you start with an 03-04 Corba 4.6 which has forged rods and pistons from the factory as well as an Eaton blower, you can reliably mod that engine well past 600 hp with the stock internals. You might need to replace the Eaton with a Whipple or a centrifugal blower to achieve that level of performance but the bottom end can handle it. So making a statement like "big deal - those engines are crap, crap pistons, crap rods, CRAPPITY CRAP CRAP CRAP...umm crap?" needs to be clarified. Not all 4.6's are crap. You just have to be careful what you start with and if it doesn't already have the right bottom end to handle the mods you need to change that before you waste your money on a blower.

XR7 Dave
05-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Post should read "This is what happened to my friend's 4.6 after he added a supercharger." If it were really that bad then you would hear all sorts of people howling about the 1000's of supercharger kits sold for NA motors. Come on, give us a break.

Rather than teach the evils of supercharging an NA motor, this post serves to demonstrate that there is no such thing as "safe" and ultimately it is up to the operater to determine what they should or should not do when behind the wheel....

:cool:

sendeth
05-30-2005, 12:19 PM
first, xr7 dave, isn't that what i said??? i believe it was something along the lines of , do it if you want, but don't expect it to last.

as for the wheels, he was going to put the cobra rims on, but after he decided to put them on, everyone put them on. i think he just kept pushing the wheels back to spend more on the other stuff. as for what type of engine you start with, you're totally right, which was my point. yes, they will work if you sc them. no they most likely won't hold out like an engine with forged parts.

back to xr7 dave. the reason i'm putting this on here is because there is a post every week with someone wanting to do this, including me. if you are supercharging a n/a motor, chances are it's because you don't have the money to build a new engine that can take some abuse. so if you don't have the money for a new engine, and you sc yours, how many times blowing does it take to put you in a bad situation??? i'm not speaking statistically, and even if i were, i think you would be suprised how many of those kits blow up. if 1 in every 10 blows, what if you are that one??? maybe i need to say it again. YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.YES IT IS POSSIBLE.

why does everyone over look me saying that. don't expect it to last. i never said it wouldn't work. just look at the damn pictures. this was professionally done and not abused much. argue with the pictures, but if you want to do this, you should ask yourself if you have the money to fix this. if not, don't do it.

and not to mention the differences bewtween the roots sc and the centrifugal type. that matters also. i'm just trying to save people some problems. why is it you encourage it??? maybe you are a mechanic??? i bet you like the business. hahaha, calm down, i'm just joking.

AsScLoWn
05-30-2005, 09:33 PM
4.6 engines are crappity crap!!!

unreal, a car built from Ford with a blower lasts longer than a car not built up for one, no way :rolleyes:

SHO_Time
05-31-2005, 06:12 AM
Ya, that makes no sense.. running 600+ hp with street tires.. anyways supercharging and turbo charging can be reliable its always user error. People alwyas crave more especialy when it comes to boost :) Now if he was running 8 psi he wouldent of blown a piston out of the oil pan lol. You only build what your motor can handle. yes with forged pistons your motor will run at 20+ psi but thats commen sense that it will nuke if other things are not used. What kind of engine managment did he use? what chip does he run ? does he have a wideband A/F installed ? maybe not becuase he didnt know he was running off ? there is always a reliable amout of power that can be used. cars come stock with blowers, They do not grenade like that. Its all bout Human error. your friend should know running insane boost with not all the supporting mods will cuase what you see.