Who has CAT Hbeam rods?

sizemoremk

What rod bearings do I use for these???

I know the eagle rod guys say they use 351 rod bearings, chamfered to fit, but it seems like I seen where someone using the CAT rods used the SC rod bearings???

Thanks!

351W bearings is what I used. I did not chamfer the bearings. Car has been together for 3 years, no problems.

351W bearings is what I used too. I did not chamfer the bearings either. Car has been together for 3 years, no problems also.

What do you think of the cat rods. I was thinking about using then but couldn't find any info or pics on them.

I have 351 bearings as well with my cat rods. I had my engine apart at under 8k miles and found that the builder hadn't chamfered the bearings or rods and it was one source of the damage in my engine. Unless you are cutting the fillet out of the crank (which you absolutely shouldn't be), then they should be chamfered.

Paul

I've got CAT H beams w/351 bearings and I don't think they were champhered either. Pulled the motor apart last year with about 10K miles on it to inspect for any bearing damage from camshaft failure. Bearings all looked great so we put it back together and it's still running strong.

David

David Neibert said:
I've got CAT H beams w/351 bearings and I don't think they were champhered either. Pulled the motor apart last year with about 10K miles on it to inspect for any bearing damage from camshaft failure. Bearings all looked great so we put it back together and it's still running strong.

David
My 351W bearing did have to be chamfered. I think it depends on the radius of the rod journals. Regardless, I couldn't even torque the rod caps before the crank was not turnable (an that was only with one rod assembled).

Now, I'm not running CAT rods, but they are 351W rods.

Here's a picture of the Cat rod with a Diamon piston.

Attachments

• piston1.JPG
    piston1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 64
Can someone describe the chamfering process, is this something that can be done by me with a file and patience, or if this a machining process that must be trued up perfectly???

thanks!

Back