What is the difference between a 93 & 94 engine?

SC Spyder

Please help, I have just purchased a 93 SC, and I will be rebuilding the engine. If I understand correctly, the 94 and newer engine made more HP. Can someone help me understand where the difference lies? Is it camshaft, porting, injectors or ?

All help is appreciated.

SC Spyder said:
Please help, I have just purchased a 93 SC, and I will be rebuilding the engine. If I understand correctly, the 94 and newer engine made more HP. Can someone help me understand where the difference lies? Is it camshaft, porting, injectors or ?

All help is appreciated.

i believe it is the blower and injectors

yea he's right, the blower is opened up more, and the car has 36lb injectors. The blower also has a bigger pully on it, so if you put a 89-93 pully on, it'll OD it.

lets not forget the windage tray.... and that the heads are different because of the water jackets i believe...

89-93 uses 30lb injectors and a oval port blower. The 94-95 uses 36lb injectors and a rectangle port blower. It also has the windage tray and a better oil pump. The rods are a little stronger with a floating pin, slight increase in compression. Heads are the same.

yes it can and u would need the inlet plenum also... i have one on my 91. more boost than my old blower with a bigger pulley.... weird huh... :rolleyes:

Straight from the FAQ forum :) :
The biggest change to the 94-95 SC’s was that it received the upgraded 3rd
generation Eaton M90 supercharger with epoxy coated rotors. The coating
made the rotors more thermally stable, therefore, Eaton could reduce the
clearances between the rotors and the case for reduced pumping losses. These
superchargers are much more efficient than the older ones, thus allowing it to
realize higher power outputs. They are so efficient that Ford actually used a
larger pulley compared to the ’89 to ’93 model year superchargers. Despite the
larger pulley, they still flow more air than the early model superchargers. Some
other changes to the motor include higher flowing 36lb/hour injectors, different
cam profile and the debut of the electronically controlled automatic transmission
(4R70W). The were a host of other changes for the 94-95 3.8L that are listed
in much more detail here (link to the article)

Aw crap. I can't believe none of this actually occured to me sooner. *duh*

Ah well, more to add to the list.... :rolleyes:

...at least it's still apart... :D

What would be your estimation of HP if I upgraded the injectors to 36lb or better, full set of pullys, K & N filter and free exhaust system? Simple bolt on stuff...

Back