Are all connecting rods the same?

AlanEdwards

I've spun 2 rod bearings on my '94 SC and I am doing a short block rebuild while I'm at it. I've got ALL of the parts needed except for one connecting rod. Unfortunately, only one new one was available and I needed two.

#1: If I find a good used connecting rod and matching cap here on the SCCOA site, or where ever, does it matter if I get one from any of the other cylinders in an engine or is it necessary for it to be from the same cylinder as the connecting rod that went bad in my engine?

#2: And, from what I understand, the connecting rods are better in '94 & '95 engines, than in previous years. Is that correct? And, does it matter what year connecting rod ('89-'95) that I get?

#3: Any hints on things I should be sure of when doing the rebuild and installation, such as shoving grease into the new oil pump (BTW, what kind of grease should I use?), etc?

Thanks for your help.

A correctly fitted stock rod isn't going to spin a bearing any more often than the best rod you can buy. If your spinning bearings, it's not a rod problem, (unless your caps aren't fitted correctly) it's probably an oiling issue. You should get your crankshaft oiling holes cleaned out and maybe chamfered. Clean out your oil pan and pump and block and everything that could have crud in it. Use good synthetic oil, heavier oil is safer they say. Put it all back together with good engine assembly lube and prime your oil pump before firing up the engine.

Are you spinning the same rod each time? If so, there's a problem getting oil to it.

Also, check the clearances with some plastigage. You may have too large of clearances on that rod and your oil pressure is dropping too low.

Slysc said:
A correctly fitted stock rod isn't going to spin a bearing any more often than the best rod you can buy. If your spinning bearings, it's not a rod problem, (unless your caps aren't fitted correctly) it's probably an oiling issue. You should get your crankshaft oiling holes cleaned out and maybe chamfered. Clean out your oil pan and pump and block and everything that could have crud in it. Use good synthetic oil, heavier oil is safer they say. Put it all back together with good engine assembly lube and prime your oil pump before firing up the engine.

Are you spinning the same rod each time? If so, there's a problem getting oil to it.

Also, check the clearances with some plastigage. You may have too large of clearances on that rod and your oil pressure is dropping too low.

Sorry for any confusion. No, I don't keep spinning bearings. This is the 1st time. Both spun rod bearings happened together. And, what kind of grease should I prime the pump with?

And, what about using a connecting rod in the #5 cyclinder that's from, say, a #2 or #1, etc., cylinder in another SC engine? And, what about the differences in '94 rods and earlier years?

Last edited:
94-95 rods are stronger and also have a bushinged end for full floating pins. you could use a 89-93 rod and have it machined for floating pins. All the rods are the same you just need to keep the matching caps with them. No need to pack the oil pump with grease thats an old timmer thing. Now days you just prime the pump before you fire. I got a peice of rod and ground the one end to match the oil pump and just pull the cam sensor install rod and spin with a drill till iave oil pressure. Install cam sensor with alignment tool and fire motor.

On the pump.....

The pump should be backed with Vaseline. Yes, Vaseline. It is in the instructions that you should pack the pump with petroleum Jelly.

I'm not kidding......this is in the manual for installing the pumps.

The past post was correct as far as rods go. I suggest trying to find the 94 rod or machining the 89-93 rod to accept the pin-type pistons.

Don

I need a connecting rod and its' matching cap from a '94 or '95

I need a connecting rod and its' MATCHING CAP from a '94 or '95 3.8 SC engine. You can e-mail me at alan.edwards@romehosting.com. Please send me your price for a good used & "unspun" rod and cap. Take care.

Back