My weekend fuel upgrade project

Brandon

Haven't really ever posted any pics, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Here's my weekend project. Feeling that my 190lph pump was about maxed out, I decided to upgrade my fuel system from the tank forward. In the future I can do from the tank rearward when I decide to put a cell in. I used an Aeromotive 700 EFI pump, 10 and 100 micron filters, -8AN feed line, and -6AN return line. Still waiting on 1 fitting, but it's pretty much complete. Now let's hope it works! The pump hangs down a bit lower than I wanted, but it was either there or putting it in the rear of the car which which would've required alot more -AN line. I think it turned out pretty good. I currently have it wired with the stock wiring, but in the future will put a separate fuel pump relay in for the extra cranking power. Thanks to Kevin L. for letting me look over his fuel system and getting me headed in the right direction.

Attachments

• SC 456592.jpg
    SC 456592.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 133
  • SC 456593.jpg
    SC 456593.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 118
  • SC 456595.jpg
    SC 456595.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 143
  • SC 456597.jpg
    SC 456597.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 126
  • SC 456599.jpg
    SC 456599.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 123
sonicman1634 said:
Wow, very impressive :cool:. About how did that setup run you?

It sure wasn't cheap....but I did use the best of everything. I ended up sending some parts back and ordering a few more, so I'm not sure on the total, but I'm gonna say around $800. And that is just from the stock tank forward. I'm sure it could be done a bit cheaper using alternative brands.

Yep, that looks nice. I like the 15 deg fittings that allowed you to run the fuel lines under the MP intake tube. As you know I did mine straight in. Those parts sure do add up. Yikes, huh?

XR7 Dave said:
Yep, that looks nice. I like the 15 deg fittings that allowed you to run the fuel lines under the MP intake tube. As you know I did mine straight in. Those parts sure do add up. Yikes, huh?

Yeah those 15deg fitting worked well. They are close to the oil fill, but they work. Yep, -AN stuff is darn expensive. What are you running pump wise?

Brandon,

Very clean install...BTW, what are you using for fuel supply from the tank? Are you just using the 190 as a feeder pump or did you remove it and install a pick up tube ?

David

David Neibert said:
Brandon,

Very clean install...BTW, what are you using for fuel supply from the tank? Are you just using the 190 as a feeder pump or did you remove it and install a pick up tube ?

David

David, I removed the 190 and installed a fuel cell bulkhead fitting towards the bottom of the tank for the pickup. I did leave the stock sender in the tank, so my gauge would still work.

Brandon said:
David, I removed the 190 and installed a fuel cell bulkhead fitting towards the bottom of the tank for the pickup. I did leave the stock sender in the tank, so my gauge would still work.

Do you have any pictures of how you plumbed that area ?

David

Brandon thats some very impressive work that you have done to your SC. I may have to copy the setup for my project.

Shane

David Neibert said:
Do you have any pictures of how you plumbed that area ?

David

David, I'll tell ya what...I'm waiting on the fitting to connect the feed line to the tank, so once I get that on there I'll put a pic up. The only problem with this setup is I won't be able to run the thing dry, since the pickup isn't as low as the stock one, but it should work well.

Brandon said:
David, I'll tell ya what...I'm waiting on the fitting to connect the feed line to the tank, so once I get that on there I'll put a pic up. The only problem with this setup is I won't be able to run the thing dry, since the pickup isn't as low as the stock one, but it should work well.

David, received that fitting today and got her put back together. Dumped maybe 4 gallons of gas in her and she fired up with no problems. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• SC 456601.jpg
    SC 456601.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 79
  • SC 456603.jpg
    SC 456603.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 93
  • SC 456604.jpg
    SC 456604.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 83
Brandon said:
David, received that fitting today and got her put back together. Dumped maybe 4 gallons of gas in her and she fired up with no problems. Here's a few pics.
Other than the job looks sweet, I have to wonder how well that front pickup is going to work. Even with the stock pickup I run out of gas at the track below 1/3 tank. To be safe I need 1/2 tank fuel already. Keep er full. ;)

Brandon said:

It sure looks nice. You are not using a egg crate for a jack stand in the third picture are you?

wezar said:
It sure looks nice. You are not using a egg crate for a jack stand in the third picture are you?

Nope, that was to help hold my exhaust up in the air while I bolted it on.

Dave, I know, I'll be sure to keep a good amount in there.

Brandon said:
Nope, that was to help hold my exhaust up in the air while I bolted it on.

Dave, I know, I'll be sure to keep a good amount in there.

Brandon,

It looks very nice. Did you have any problems getting the bulkhead fitting to seal against the surface of the tank ?

David

David Neibert said:
Brandon,

It looks very nice. Did you have any problems getting the bulkhead fitting to seal against the surface of the tank ?

David

Dave, no I didn't....even though the tank is rounded in that area, I tried to pick the flattest spot I could and it works well so far. No leaks!

Back