Thinking of trading, what would you do?

blksn8k

One of my best friends has a 68 Mustang fastback and he and I talked about a swap for my 89 SC. I've owned the Bird since it was new (June 6th, 1989) and I've known Bob since way before that. My car has a little over 74k on it. It has never been driven in the snow and is stored throughout the winter months. It's a 5-speed and pretty much all original except for the Panasonic stereo, Dunlop tires and Illumina II shocks. It's red with titanium interior. I would have to pay some extra cash but we haven't decided how much. I told Bob to think it over and let me what he needs.

His car was originally sold in CA but is now in PA. The biggest negative is that it is not a numbers matching car. It was originally a 6 cyl 3-speed. The body is extremely solid for a 68 Stang. Basically zero rust. He recently painted it base coat/clear coat Highland Green which makes it a clone of the Steve McQueen car in the movie Bullitt. It needs some interior work including a console. Now for the good stuff. The motor is a bigblock 406 FE from an early 60's Galaxy. This was Ford's NASCAR and NHRA motor prior to the 427. It also has a bigblock toploader 4-speed and a 9" rear axle. He has also swapped the six banger front suspension for bigblock parts. I rode in the car back when he had a 428CJ/C6 auto in it and the 406 is actually a little stronger. The car needs some work like color sanding and buffing the paint, installing a rebuild kit in the trans and re-installing the interior. Bob wants to do all this himself before we swap. That suits me just fine.

He has ridden in the SC several times and knows it has been well cared for. I'm not too sure I want to part with the SC since I've owned it since new and I can honestly say it has been one of the best cars I've ever had. The Mustang is not particularly rare but because of that it is something I wouldn't be afraid to drive.

What do you guys think?

that sounds like a deal and a half. our cars are cool and all but a 67 fastback is cooler :D . for me the only negative would be gas prices

i say go for it

I think it really depends on what the SC means to you. Looking at your sig it seems you have no shortage of cool cars, but the SC is the only one I'd want to take on a road trip. lol

If you actually get use out of the SC, I'd keep it. If it is a question of which car has more coolness to it, the Stang wins.

I think the SC gives your stable a nice balance. I'd trade the 99 Cobra for the 68, build it up Pro Touring style and make a nice cruiser out of it. Or not. :/

Heck, I don't guess I have any idea what you should do. lol

XR7 Dave said:
I think the SC gives your stable a nice balance. I'd trade the 99 Cobra for the 68, build it up Pro Touring style and make a nice cruiser out of it. Or not.

Trading the 99 Cobra is not an option. It only has 4658 miles on it. I've also owned it since new, obviously. ;)

Back