Boost Gauge going wierd on me

drummerzrok24

I'm driving home from school today, when I noticed my boost gauge was reading Vac. 10 with my foot off the pedal, and it was bouncing just a litle bit. When I would hammer down on the gas, it would only go up to about 5-8 psi. What could be wrong?? Vaccum leak?? Anything?

Thanks in advance...

Jean

check the connection to it and make sure there are no cuts in the line. You also might need a snout seal on the supercharger.

drummerzrok24 said:
When I hit a bump in the road, the needle jumps too.

Sounds like the vacuum line to the boost gauge may be loose or cracked its a small diameter plastic line that cracks easily on these old cars.

Could be the guage itself

I had it happen to me once, when it was cold, the guage kinda froze up.

I had it replaced and it hasn't given me issue since then.

If it is a stock guage, chances are the spring inside is shot, or a loose/leaking connection in the vacuum line. Mine was shot when I bought the car a year and a half ago. I recently replaced it with an Autometer boost/vacuum guage and mounted it just beside the light dimmer button inside the plastic dash panel. Just curious, when you replaced the guage, were you able to pull just the boost guage out of the cluster or did you replace the entire instrunment cluster? My stock SC is getting just around 7-8 psi. The odd time it's hitting just a shade over 10 psi. Is this normal for a stock setup?

Back