Lifter Woes

Deimos

undoubtley a lifter is broken, since pieces of the roller and pin were found in the oil pan upon inspection

what should we do

A. replace the broken lifter and reassemble

B. replace all lifters (better lifters?) and cam bearings and cam

C. replace lifters and cam only

D. rebuild motor

i read in past posts about link bar lifters what are they and where can we get them and would it be a good idea to utilize them?

Deimos said:
undoubtley a lifter is broken, since pieces of the roller and pin were found in the oil pan upon inspection

what should we do

A. replace the broken lifter and reassemble

B. replace all lifters (better lifters?) and cam bearings and cam

C. replace lifters and cam only

D. rebuild motor

i read in past posts about link bar lifters what are they and where can we get them and would it be a good idea to utilize them?

if it was up to me i would rebuild the whole thing with new cam and lifters. im not sure on this hopefully someone else can enlighn me too but if a lifter broke and ended up in the oil pan could that mean that u might have damaged the cam too? so if that happened then u might want to replace both. but i guess u could find out if u took the cam out.

well i am considering replacing the headgaskets too because there is coolant leaking into the oil and vice versa. if i do this will i need to have the heads rebuilt (i.e guides, seats, valves, springs,) or milled or both?

Deimos said:
well i am considering replacing the headgaskets too because there is coolant leaking into the oil and vice versa. if i do this will i need to have the heads rebuilt (i.e guides, seats, valves, springs,) or milled or both?

i just got my heads done, milling is a must, and getting the valves done is also something that should be done on a higher mileage engine. and dont reuse the old head bolts.

Back