is a resonator the same as a muffler

MySCRocket1203

im trying to decide to do i go with an imco dual inlet dual outlet muffler for my resonator or go with a magnaflow xpipe not the one shown on supercoupeperformance its a dual 2.5" inlet 4" center dual 2.5" outs im confused adn this is the last step for me before i make my exhaust

p.s. i recently got a p[ipe bender and mig welder so im gonna be making intakes and exhausts for my cars adn my friends cars im also working on a decent design for a ram air style intake ofr our birds cuz we just cant get enough boost at 110mph

Yes, a muffler and resonator are the same.

im also working on a decent design for a ram air style intake ofr our birds cuz we just cant get enough boost at 110mph
:confused: :confused:

Thomas

im talking about a direct feed coming from underneath the car or maybe cutting a hole int he hood or front end so as to get more airflow from the outside air rushing in its like standing on top of a truck at 100 mph with your mouth open its another way of getting more cfms to our blowers the only problem im working with is air flow and filters i obvisouly need to make an air proof box and use a conical filter but im debatng wether to run the pipe at an angle through the hood, almost straight through the front end just under the lights or angled and underneath like the some of the ram airs you find for the '98 camaros (the v-6) my buddy has one and i liked the idea i want better air flow tho so im trying to figure out whats gonna be best and whats gonna be easiest and make a good balance between the two

mufflers vs resonator

Actually, a resonator and a muffler have the same function, but are really different in the way they work. A resonator is basically hollow, on my stock 1990 SC, it has 2 inlets and one larger outlet. The exhaust gases "collect" in a rotating pattern (resonate) inside the resonator, hense the name. This gives the initial back pressure in the system (VERY little) just enough to change the tone of the exhaust. The SC is considered a luxury sports car so the makers designed them to be quiet, yet fast. By changing the tone, it removes the initial "popping" sound a V6 makes if you were to run only the headers off the block, allowing for the mufflers at the back to finish off the job a little easier.

The mufflers, (stock has one at each tailpipe), are designed externally like the resonator. Difference is that mufflers use internal fins to allow the exhaust to flow a certain way. That certain way makes the gases difract, resulting in the interference of the sound waves given off. When waves interfere, they cancel each other out, or become "muffled". This involves a little more back pressure than the resonator.

Remember: some back pressure is useful when running in cold weather because when the supercharger forces the air into the cylinders, on a 6-cyl engine there is always at least one other cylinder on the opposite exhaust stroke, while another is on the power stroke. This balances the momentum swing in the crank and flywheel, offering a smoother running engine, which in turn is more fuel efficient and quiet. This is also why head gaskets are blown when the exhaust is not opened up more before adding boost. The designers of these cars built them to withstand an equilibrium limit or an exhaust:intake ratio. You are on the same line I am, currently to upgrade the exhaust system on our cars, but I still want to be careful not to fully eliminate back pressure or else the fuel running will be getting pricy. Good luck and hope this helps.

Also thanks to Thomas for the helpful advice on my exhaust journey.

that qualified as one of the most useful posts i have ever read ahhaha thank you very much one last question should i run a resonator for 115$ or just get an x-pipe for 55$ i want good sound a great performance but price is somehting of an issue ahhaha

I have to agree, that was one of the best explainations i've read in a long time here. Thanks geigerb! :D I too am also looking to upgrade my exhuast.

Cheers,
Luke

Back