wondering about tire size

mint91sc

I Have been reading alot of posts on the forums about what the best size tire for my new 17's would be i see alot of poeple saying 245/50/17 but they are quite a bit of money and i also seen a couple posts about going to a 255/50/17 cause there are more of them out there. I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with rubbing when running the 255's.. my car is not lowered I just want to make sure they will clear for sure before buying a set

255/50/17 & 17x9"

I have 255/50/17 tires on 17x9" wheels. I'm using Fuzion ZRi tires on a '94'SC. The only problems I've had was the front barely rubbing on the inside but I think that's because of the way the tire was designed. Those tires feature some kind of safety lip to prevent dinging up wheels... I corrected that problem with 2mm spacers (those road signs worked out great!). Also, the rear tires rub the fenders because I forgot to tell the guy at Sears to keep some negative camber when doing my alignment. Before he did the alignment, they would only rub when hitting a big bump.

I'm pretty sure that if you check around the forums punching in that size into search (i.e. 255/45 or whatever portion, don't search on the whole number as some are zr, some are wr) you'll find that it can depend on the actual tire if the 255 will fit.

Why do you want to go with the 255? Maybe start with what you want to achieve, how much error in speedo and final drive ratio you are willing to deal with and then find a tire that fits that.

I'm running Goodrich 245/45/17 on the front and 275/40/17 on the rear of my '92 ( front spindles on it accept a slightly wider rim than the '93+.) My rims are 17X9 ( stock backspace and hub-centric) which is the widest rim the 245 will work on and the narrowest the 275 will work on. The tires are also roughly the same height as a 215/65/15 that is the 0+ upgrade for the stock rims, and are only 1/10 of an inch difference in height from each other so it won't mess-up an ABS. I mounted the rims on my '95 and they scrape the spindles just a bit. I accually think the 275's will clear the '92 spindle but I haven't tried them yet.

As I understand, on a '93+, the 255/50/17's give a more accurate speedo and a little better highway MPG, and won't hit the spindle, but the 245/275 combo on the 17X9's hangs the road better than anything I've felt so far (and those big tires look good under the rear of the car.)

Here's a tire sizing gizmo that may help: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Good luck and happy cornering.

Back