How much fuel pressure should I have?

bigcletus94

After playing around with my car all day today, I have gotten nowhere with it. The codes still say it is running "lean". I don't know why it would. Thought I might have had a clogged cat so I took of the entire exhaust system only to find nothing aparently wrong. I was able to blow air through the cats pretty easily. Oh I did notice however that my entire trans oil-pan seal is bad and is leaking fluid everywhere. Thats all I needed at this point.

Anyways, I bought a fuel gauge from the local parts store and was going to try it out tomorrow. What kind of a reading should I expect to get? The car will run if I give it gas, otherwise, it just dies. Won't idle. And then it runs terrible when it does run. It also has a burnt smell and it stinks. It must be running lean because it gets so hot, I can feel the extra heat through the floor of the car. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

It is running lean because:

1) its running very hot
2) codes 172, 176 = lean
3) couple other things too that dont come to mind..

what is the FPR? Is that the fuel pressure regulator? Where is it located? Do i need to disconnect it to check pressure? Thanks.

"what is the FPR? Is that the fuel pressure regulator?"
Yes

"Where is it located?"
Driver's side rear of the engine and difficult to get at.

"Do i need to disconnect it to check pressure?"
There's a thin hard vacuum/boost reference tube connecting the intake manifold (IM) to the FPR. Easiest is to disconnect this tube from the IM (instead of at the FPR) and plug it at the IM during your test. Connect your FP gauge to the schrader valve.

Back