Bird got checked out by cops for first time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

stas

Hello all, tonight I got subjected to the same kind of harrassment that riced out Civic owners do : ) I was just driving along Kennedy Rd at 401, when I see a Civic pulled over by cops with its hood up. So I smiled and said "poor sucker" to myself.. I stop at a red light, without doing any suspicious activity, the cop pulls up behind me and as soon as I turn towards the highway entrance flashes his lights.. So I stop, it's OPP, checked my license and registration and asked me to shut off the car and pop the hood. I conform, he uses his flashlight and checks stuff under the hood. Asked me what year the car was - "1990". Then looked under the car.. don't know what he could see there - the car is lowered. I have an aftermarket ZR intake also. I wonder what they were checking for (which I had a strong urge to ask..), and would they really know what a stock Supercoupe would look like under the bonnet?? It's just interesting to me what that kind of inspection is supposed to reveal..by the way my windshield is cracked but they didn't even say anything.. Just thought I'd share because I thought those kinds of inspections were a myth.. at least for careful drivers.

Nope, I've been pulled over 4 times in 5 days now. Everytime they say its a random inspection. My car is bone stock, except for my sound system. Cops asked me to pop to hood, I do, they ask why the supercharger is there. I tell them its stock, it's just painted to look good. They ask to hear the car, make sure the exhaust isnt loud, its stock. Then they tell me that my sound system is too loud and its passing the legal dB limit, which is horsecrap cause I'm nowhere near it. I think im on some list or something or somebody with a silver bird has been doing some bad things and they have me tagged for it. Either way, its really starting to piss me off.

drummerzrok24 said:
Nope, I've been pulled over 4 times in 5 days now. Everytime they say its a random inspection. My car is bone stock

You know that's interesting, they didn't even ask me anything not even about the intake, nor the supercharger, the ride height or the stereo.. and my car is low, black w black rims and tinted. Guess I was lucky. What I don't understand is: when has it become illegal to modify your car?? All they said at the end of this "thorough inspection" is "thanks bud", and I was on my way.

I got pulled over today too, on Highway 48, License, Registration, Insurance Slips, (My insurance slip was expired heh) Checked the whole car over, asked me like 20 times if it was my car, they were being jerks thats all I can say, 4 cops to inspect one pretty much completely stock car! and the silly part is they thought I stole my sub box meanwhile it matches the contures perfectly and I just finished it like an hour earlier! ;)

A cop followed me around the Dundas/Hwy 10 area yesterday. I parked the car at my inlaws house and went inside. Looked from inside the house about 15 minutes later and he was still behind my car. :rolleyes:

I guess he got tired of waiting so he left.

tbirdsc357 said:
A cop followed me around the Dundas/Hwy 10 area yesterday. I parked the car at my inlaws house and went inside. Looked from inside the house about 15 minutes later and he was still behind my car. :rolleyes:

I guess he got tired of waiting so he left.

I thought they were allowed to search your car all over but not under the hood :confused:

What can they actually fine you for? If you already had the supercharger but changed it, is this a violation? If you changed your ic etc? or if your car didn't come stock with these things and you have added them? Is this weekend just a blitz on these random pull overs? I really don't like the idea that I can get pulled over just because I have a nice car that may be fast!

they way i understaind it is that they were trying to pass a bill that baned any and all modifications to cars. (if it didn't come from the factory with it then you couldnt legaly put it on) however there was a petition that went around that i had thought put a stop to that.
my guess would be they are just looking for someting to hit ppl with tickets for. maby they figure that if they hand out enough BS tickets for mods and such. ppl will stop doing it and then less ppl will race on the streets.
i think its just the cops being dicks like normal and they just found a new way to push there own personal power trips.

You have to change that attitude. With all the street racing and people getting killed and injured, the cops have simply stepped up a campaign. Yes, our cars look quick, and they are, but as long as you behave while driving on the streets, you should have no problem. Stay sober and drive within the limits. There is no way that a "modification law" will ever hold any water. As long as your car is not loud, (though how do Harleys get away with the racket they create??) properly insured and you're not driving like a nut bar, just relax. The street cop is strictly doing as he is told. It's not a personal vendetta, unless you piss him off. Be courteous and show them what they want to see. Be honest, the only ticket you've ever gotten is deserved. How many didn't you get that you also deserved? They don't give out BS tickets. I get cops giving me the thumbs up in appraciation of the car.

Last edited:
I used to get pulled over all the damn time at night... for no apparent reason, and was never charged during one of 'these inspections'....

All I can say, is the stereotyping is getting out of hand, we're all being thrown together...

First and foremost, no police officer, OPP, Metro, Durham, York etc have the legal right to check under your hood. Only a MTO officer can do so. They have no probable cause nor a warrant to check anything out of plain sight.

The statement about "all the street racing and the people getting killed" is just another statement from someone who gets their information about a source from the TV. If we want to define "street racing" as anytime two cars are driving side by side going fast, I see it daily. Old people, young people whatever, racing trying to merge in while another blocks, etc etc etc. How many times have you gunned it to prevent someone from merging into your lane? Well, that's street racing according to the police and media.

Street racing is an excellent headline grabber. It's also great for additonal funding for police. Since ERASE and PACER have started, there's been more "street racing" deaths. Good to see the program is working :)

HoseHead said:
You have to change that attitude. With all the street racing and people getting killed and injured, the cops have simply stepped up a campaign. Yes, our cars look quick, and they are, but as long as you behave while driving on the streets, you should have no problem. Stay sober and drive within the limits. There is no way that a "modification law" will ever hold any water. As long as your car is not loud, (though how do Harleys get away with the racket they create??) properly insured and you're not driving like a nut bar, just relax. The street cop is strictly doing as he is told. It's not a personal vendetta, unless you piss him off. Be courteous and show them what they want to see. Be honest, the only ticket you've ever gotten is deserved. How many didn't you get that you also deserved? They don't give out BS tickets. I get cops giving me the thumbs up in appraciation of the car.

I wish for once the gov't would spare the public the soap opera and just ban every dealer even Canadian Tire from selling any performace parts or for that matter ban cigarettes and alcohol because they kill too. Come on show some guts and do it, spare the public. :rolleyes: Let's take care of the problem at the source instead of giving out hefty fines. :rolleyes:

Andrew Wang said:
I wish for once the gov't would spare the public the soap opera and just ban every dealer even Canadian Tire from selling any performace parts or for that matter ban cigarettes and alcohol because they kill too. Come on show some guts and do it, spare the public. :rolleyes: Let's take care of the problem at the source instead of giving out hefty fines. :rolleyes:

Did not know my post would start a revolution : ). I absolutely agree with what was said, anything can be a weapon in the hands of a madman, and we should not be discriminated because of the cars we choose to drive. Also car customization could be considered a form of self-expression, and by no means should it ever be made illegal.

BlueThunder90 said:
First and foremost, no police officer, OPP, Metro, Durham, York etc have the legal right to check under your hood. Only a MTO officer can do so. They have no probable cause nor a warrant to check anything out of plain sight.

The statement about "all the street racing and the people getting killed" is just another statement from someone who gets their information about a source from the TV. If we want to define "street racing" as anytime two cars are driving side by side going fast, I see it daily. Old people, young people whatever, racing trying to merge in while another blocks, etc etc etc. How many times have you gunned it to prevent someone from merging into your lane? Well, that's street racing according to the police and media.

Street racing is an excellent headline grabber. It's also great for additonal funding for police. Since ERASE and PACER have started, there's been more "street racing" deaths. Good to see the program is working :)

I see street racing all the time and read about it in the paper and on TV. Street racing is not accelerating to merge or change lanes. Blocking someone from "getting in front" of you is foolish and unneccessary. I get challenged all the time and I guess I lose because I will not be goaded into racing on the street. I know my car can inhale these challenges, but there's nothing to be gained. But there's plenty to go wrong. On a open highway, I'll give my SC some excercise and touch 220, but I'm not endangering anyone but myself. Maybe it's because I have teens driving, or because I've picked up pieces of people scattered along the road after the fact. It ain't pretty. There's plenty of tracks around if you want to race. The street isn't the place for it. Period.

Now as far a legalities go, if you feel you're being harassed, talk to a lawyer. But I can guarantee if you give the cop on the scene a hard time, you will get the same in return. Just be courteous and accommodating. If they still persist, take them to the judge.

Last edited:
Each must walk their own path,if you feel it is wrong then ask and challenge it.If you dont see a problem then let them do what they want.I dont know the legalities of this but it would be nice to know what the legal system has to say about this!

I'll bet you that a majority of the actual deaths from "street racing" weren't so at all. Like you said, merging and racing to beat a merge isn't real street racing, but that doesn't stop the police and media for glorifying it.

In regards to tracks, there's no tracks near Toronto. 1.5hrs to Cayuga, 2 hours to Sparta and how long to Grand Bend?

There's 3 different kinds of racing. There's the people who goto the track. there's the people who street race in a closed off area, and then there's the bright ones that race light to light.

The problem is, police want to label anyone, that includes you, as a street racer. If you have a sticker on your car or a nice set of rims or maybe a set of lowering springs, you're automatically a target.

We don't allow racial profiling, but we accept being judged by the way our car looks? Would you allow a cop to walk up to you on the street and search you?

HoseHead said:
I see street racing all the time and read about it in the paper and on TV. Street racing is not accelerating to merge or change lanes. Blocking someone from "getting in front" of you is foolish and unneccessary. I get challenged all the time and I guess I lose because I will not be goaded into racing on the street. I know my car can inhale these challenges, but there's nothing to be gained. But there's plenty to go wrong. On a open highway, I'll give my SC some excercise and touch 220, but I'm not endangering anyone but myself. Maybe it's because I have teens driving, or because I've picked up pieces of people scattered along the road after the fact. It ain't pretty. There's plenty of tracks around if you want to race. The street isn't the place for it. Period.

Now as far a legalities go, if you feel you're being harassed, talk to a lawyer. But I can guarantee if you give the cop on the scene a hard time, you will get the same in return. Just be courteous and accommodating. If they still persist, take them to the judge.

BlueThunder90 said:
We don't allow racial profiling, but we accept being judged by the way our car looks? Would you allow a cop to walk up to you on the street and search you?

You got a good point there, buddy!

BlueThunder90 said:
I'll bet you that a majority of the actual deaths from "street racing" weren't so at all. Like you said, merging and racing to beat a merge isn't real street racing, but that doesn't stop the police and media for glorifying it.

In regards to tracks, there's no tracks near Toronto. 1.5hrs to Cayuga, 2 hours to Sparta and how long to Grand Bend?

There's 3 different kinds of racing. There's the people who goto the track. there's the people who street race in a closed off area, and then there's the bright ones that race light to light.

The problem is, police want to label anyone, that includes you, as a street racer. If you have a sticker on your car or a nice set of rims or maybe a set of lowering springs, you're automatically a target.

2 summers ago I was sitting on my front porch watching my son ride his bike ON the side walk when I heard tires getting ripped up. 2 punk *** kids came flying down my road (50 kph zone) dragging and 1 started losing control and just missed my son by inches...... AND YOU SAY THIS **** IS ALRIGHT and PEOPLE DON'T GET KILLED!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Frankly, you deserved to be profiled, and its guys like you that cause grief for the rest of us that "keep it where it belongs....." by having to pay higher insurance rates etc.

Frit

Last edited:
fturner said:
2 summers ago I was sitting on my front porch watching my son ride his bike ON the side walk when I heard tires getting ripped up. 2 punk *** kids came flying down my road (50 kph zone) dragging and 1 started losing control and just missed my son by inches...... AND YOU SAY THIS **** IS ALRIGHT and PEOPLE DON'T GET KILLED!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Frankly, you deserved to be profiled, and its guys like you that cause grief for the rest of us that "keep it where it belongs....." by having to pay higher insurance rates etc.

Frit
I don't think he is saying that street racing is okay.....what he is saying is that it's not right for cops to say that everyone that has a modified car is a street racer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back