holdin second in an automatic

92redbird

hey guys, is there any way to manually hold second gear in an automatic bird. I've heard that if you start in first, run up the rpm's shift into drive, and then shift back into first that it will hold second until you shift back to drive. is that the way it works, or is that a bunch of bunk? let me know what ya think, thanks.

if you have a aod wait till it shifts into 2nd while you have it in drive and put the shifter down to first, it will hold 2nd unless you drop slow enough for it to kick into 1st

The 1-d-1 shuffle is very destructive on these transmissions. I suggest you get a valvebody that will hold second using the D postion.
Alan

Dirtyd0g said:
The 1-d-1 shuffle is very destructive on these transmissions. I suggest you get a valvebody that will hold second using the D postion.
Alan

Alan

I have heard this before. Could you explain why this is bad.

Michael

i have a trans-go shift kit in my valve body, and it stated in the product description that I could manually hold any gear, but the only way i can do that is to shift back to first after it shifts to second, but im interested to know what doing that will damage, im sick of puttin trannys in my car, its on its third one now.

90blkbrd said:
Alan

I have heard this before. Could you explain why this is bad.

Michael

Can I explain it, well slightly. This transmission was not designed to be used this way so when you do you end up with a broken transmission. I don't even think manually shifting automatics is a good idea. The best thing to do is to get a valvebody setup the way you want and then adjust the governor to give you the shift points you desire. There are 3 different OE ford governors. The lowest rpm one was found in trucks (about perfect if you are using 4r70w gearset) most of the sc's have either the lowest rpm or the middle one because these motors don't perform best at high rpms. The 3.8 na cars seem to have the highest (I know the mustangs did). From there you can get a high rev governor kit to increase shift points even farther.
Alan

If you want to hold 2nd, get a Lentech valve body. Shuffle shifting is very rough on the transmission and will only hold 2nd at wide open throttle.

David

I was hoping to hear what was actually happening that made it wrong, but I trust you guys and no longer do this.

When I did shift back into 1st right away I did hear/feel a clunk, but if I waited until 3500-4000 RPMS it didn't happen.

Mike had his trans rebuilt by a tranny shop with someones shift kit and he was told shuffle shifting wouln't hurt this transmission.

why the aod is bad

The AOD was not made to have a strong shift but a soft shift for comfort for the driver so it wasn't made for performance shifting.

Why?

Well here is what is going on. When a tranny shifts slower and smoother that means the clutches/friction disk tend to take longer to engage. It's like with a clutch. If you hold your car on a hill with the clutch. The clutch disk is spinning against the flywheel and wearing it out. The same with a tranny. There isn't enough pressure on the friction disk that are spinning in there so they just were out causing you to loose that gear causing it to rev up because the friction disk have no more material on them.

If you increase the line pressure as in putting in a lentech or a shift kit this helps with the higher up shifting because the friction disk engage quicker giving you that firm shift.

I have taken time to rebuild my tranny with success and would strongly suggest is you you drive your car or any if you want to tranny to last get some sort of shift kit that increase the firmness of the shift.

I hope this helps

hepcat75

I can't remember the specifics, but he Baumann engineering guy said it was bad also, it seemed that the time in second, while the shifter in 1 was the destructive part.

He said that if I did insist in doing it a few times at the track, I should shift from 1-d, then wait till second gear is almost used up before shifting back into 1, then back into d for the shift for 2-3 shift.

I other words, have it in 1 as little as possible...

He said that this would be a little less harsh on it.

I have tried it once, just to see... but my SC is not far from stock right now, so I aint making no power up high...

I have the 4R70W gearset in my AOD, and I used the lowest governor becasue the don't make power up high. Now after my mods, if a dyno shows more power up there, I may have to swap to a mid or high speed governor.

Letting it shift itself is gonna be more consistent anyways.

Basically, unless you have the mods to make more power up high, the AOD shuffle aint gonna get you much if anything...

Just my .02

Back