car no start, battery good, bad starter maybe?

35th_tbird

ok, i went to get in my car to go to work this morning and when i turned the key, the car would just click once and then nothing would happen. when i let the key come back to the ON position, all of the power accessories come on at full power, so that rules out the battery. also none of the lights dim so i'm fairly sure the battery's ok.

i'm guessing the starter went out on me, but does anyone here maybe have more experience with this problem, or maybe confirm my suspicions?

any help would be great. thanks

i think is sounds like the silinoid (bad spelling). or the starter relay as i my haynes manual calls it. Its is located right by the battery, ir round and had two lugs comming out of it for the starter. Here is how i would check it to see if its that or the starter. That a screw driver (make sure its in neutral or park) and cross the two lugs, if your starter turns the motor over, its the silinoid if it dosent then check your wires and if they are all good, then its most likely your startor motor.

same situation with my car i changed my soleniod and that didnt help so im betting on the starter i have another soleniod i can mail to you or autozone has them for like 20 bucks

Check the small wire that runs down to the starter motor. That wire often rusts/disintegrates and falls off the little tab on the starter motor. I've had that happen on a few of my SC's.

-Rod

well, i crossed the two bolt on the solenoid and nothing happened, just the random small spark.

i didn't see if the wiring is all good yet, though...

35th_tbird said:
when i let the key come back to the ON position, all of the power accessories come on at full power, so that rules out the battery. also none of the lights dim so i'm fairly sure the battery's ok.
Nope.. you can't tell by the brightness of the lights. Start by cleaning your batt posts and clamps with steel wool even if they don't look dirty. Then check the charging voltage at idle and get a battery tester (they are extremely cheap) and check the charge of each cell. After that, then move onto the other cables, relays, and starter.

well, i did have the battery die on me a week or so ago, and all the light were dim when i was trying to start the car, and the radio, ac, etc didnt even come on.

so i just figured since everything came on this time, that it's not the battery

racecougar said:
Check the small wire that runs down to the starter motor. That wire often rusts/disintegrates and falls off the little tab on the starter motor. I've had that happen on a few of my SC's.

-Rod

Had the same problem with my SC. Sometimes all I would get was a click other times it started normal. Found the female side of the spade connection was loose fitting. Crimped it a little with some pliers and the problem was solved.

David

Back