Hello Heater Core

tmicklet

Hey Everyone,

So i was driving home from work friday night and then puff.....and my windshield was fogged. Had to drive with my head out the window :cool: Started to pull the dash apart sat morning but decided to just bypass the heater core cause i had to go to work. Has anyone done the heater core?? Looks like a pain in the *** ( isnt everything!!) Just wondering if anyone had any words of wisom. Thanks again.

it sucks. you have too pull the whole dash out of they way... at least i did. maby someone else knows of an easyer way

Pretty sure the dash has to come out. I did an 89 Taurus I had for a winter beater a few years ago and yeah, it sucks!

Any luck with the swap out

Changing out the core is a big job, make sure to have two people when doing, If not their is a good chance to damage the dash when pulling it out. I have done two of them one in my 90 lx, 92 lx and I think my 90sc is due for one this year :(

Make sure to have a manual with you so you don't go over board on taking it apart as that will just cause more work in the long run. I think the ford or CT manual has the job quoted at some thing like 8 or 10 hrs. I think the first one I did was along the lines of 13 hrs and the second one was about 7 hrs. Make sure not to puncture the dash cover on the top as it just peals away after the sun eat it up.(Still really bitter about my dash cover cracking taking a dump after converting my blue lx interior to black SC)

Good Luck

I have done one and I would say it's easy but then I have pulled 3 dash out. I'm down to about 45min to pull them out.
No if it's a car thats going back togeather take your time like I did on my car.
The good news is the dash does not need to come right out of the car. I'm not a 100% sure where the acc panal is for the heater core on all years on SC but you might be able to pull it out that way. other wise you need to pull the dash out a little to let you move the heater core out. Now if I was doing this and your wanting to kept the car and like AC do the evaporater at the same time since the dash is all ready out.
If you need more info just ask.

twice

I agree 1st time 13 hrs, 2nd time 1/2 that.
Use a FORD CORE, Ctire (moog) lasted 3 yrs that is why I've done it twice
The heater box has to come OUT of the car, the dash can be tilted away and back from normal to make enough room for this.
The box has to come out because of the shape of the tubes and the seal to the firewall, if you butcher the grommet you might get away with leaving the box in place. Once you are that far though, you might as well do it right.
good luck
PR

well if you put your girl away for the winter ...I would wait till then before changing heater core ..and keep it looped for now ...the A/C will blast out the heat for cooler days ..loved that feature of instant heat from the A/C ..
...as for advice I would go to the wreckers ..find a tbird or couger with A/C...and hopefully a cracked dash ..to make it cheaper and pull it out ..before attempting to do your own ..toget a better understanding ..of how it comes apart...and how brittle the dash can be ..from the sun baking it ..if your a big man with big hands ..seats may have to come out ...for you to get under the dash ..either way have a big box of band aids handy ..you will get sliced and diced ..and get a manual ....some one did do a write up on doing this ....dave

are you lookin for a heater core?? i am parting out a 91 now and the heater core is in good shape.. pm me for info if you want..

thanks everyone for your input. as it is summer i may just wait and work away at this in the fall. unless i find a large amount of free time.... i wish. anyway thanks again...i am sure it will be fun. talk to you all again.

Back