Coolant to throttle body, how to bypass?

Mike8675309

This 90 I have (for now) has the coolant lines going to the throttle body. If I disconnect them can I just plug them both, or do I need to get a fittting and hook them together to allow coolant to flow on to somewhere else?

Thanks

I just plugged mine at each of the steel pipe sections, as all that is happening is coolant going from the heads to the heater core on the pax side, and from the heater core to the oil cooler on the driver's side.

So far I haven't seen any adverse affects.....

Frit

The idea was to preheat the air going in by warming the T/B up, just like the old days when the air intake could draw air from around the exhaust manifolds until the car warmed up. I could see it helping on really cold days up here in the north, BUT there's no method of stopping it once the engine warmed up so it could hurt performance, especially on hot days.

I'll find out this winter if its needed or not ;).

Frit

I did mine a little different, I took the TB off and disconnected the coolant lines and slipped a piece of hard plastic tube in the line then slipped the other one over the plactic tube that was sticking out the other side. Then I put little hose clamps each end so that the coolant could circulate.

It can be plugged or if you want to clean up some unnecessary plumbing and get some brackets out of the way, you can cap off the outlet where it splits after coming out of the manifold (top left of the engine).. and on the driver's side where it joins. With the way the car takes so long to warm up any way, I can't see any real benefit from it. :)

I think I remember reading somewhere that the coolent lines on the 5.0 Mustangs where actually there to cool the throttle body from EGR heat. They can not warm a cold TB when the engine is cold for cold start drivability. Do the SC's without EGR have coolent lines to the throttle body?

yea i believe its for in the winter time so throttle body doesnt freeze but my has worked ok for years unhooked maybe if you live in canada or somewhere colder it may freeze i think my turbo coupe froze open for a sec one time but it wasnt a problem i just stuck a piece of copper tubing between the two hoses

Last edited:
Ford discontinued the use in later models. Don't know when that was but my 93 doesn't have them.

I believe it was an engineering theory that brought them into use early on, with the blower pulling air through the intake faster than the engine may do it via normal vac it's theoretically possible for the throttle plates to frost up.

But with how warm it is in the engine compartment I think it turned out not being a problem.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't interrupting some necessary flow to the head by just plugging the lines.

I suggest...

I suggest that you pipe them together and that's it. The reason they were installed was emmissions and keeping the cold air from running the car too rich on cold days. I always suggest leaving any coolant flow the way it is, meaning I would take the lines, spice them together and then drive as normal.

You'll notice a difference on hotter days that it runs better.

Don

The coolant line comes off the heater hose runs through the throttle body to a metal tube that is connected to the firewall, runs behind the engine to the other side(drivers side) and back into the return heater core pipe. You can disconnect the hose and plug, it will have to adverse effect on the vehicle. I have had my disconnected for about 6 years and I live in the north east, and the SC has seen some cold weather driving.

SCmetalhead.

ps if you have the time and want to clean up the engine bay you can remove the metal pipe that is on the firewall.

Back