What would you recommend ??? need help guys

SuperCoupe007

Hi guys,
I have a 90 SC 5-Speed. I have to replace the cluth and the passenger side valve cover. I was thinking of putting a high performance clutch like the centerforce dual friction, but not sure if i am just wasting my money. The car is completely stock. What would be the best way to replace the passenger side valve cover. I know its gonna be a nightmare, but i am up to the task. I figure i am gonna change plugs and wires while the tranny is down gonna use OEM wires, and either autolites or motorcraft plugs (double platinums). Any recommendations as to what i could service or look at since i am about to split the drivetrain. Thanks for your help in advance guys...

If you have any issues with the fuel tank or rearend thiswould be a good time to work on them as you can either drop the rearend to get the driveshaft out or you can drop the fuel tank. Any exhaust upgrades would be good at this time as you will have it all out too.

clutch & valve covers

I just purchased the car about a month ago, but i haven't noticed any problems with the rear end, or anythying, except for the cluth.
AsScLoWn
I wishi could just re-torque the cover, but where you pour the oil, its cracked, and i already bought the covers, might as well change them. You think i could re-use the valve cover gasket ? or should i just purchase new ones... Do i have to go to a Ford Dealer for the clutch, or can i buy it somewhere else for cheaper ?...
AV8R040
I was thinking of doing the exhaust, purchasing the resonator and cats and having them installed, but not sure...
or how would you recommend that go about the exhaust ?? do they sell exhaust kits that just bolt on ?
Thanks guys......

clutch & valve cover

well i haven't purchased the valve cover gaskets... should i remove the Supercharger along with the inlet plenum and the TB as one piece, or take them one one by one, to get to the valve cover ??
thanks

The best way to do the exhaust is when you pull the cats and resonator assembly off the car take it to an exhaust shop and they can duplicate it then. If you can find a shop that will eliminate the cats and you can get away with it you will be much better off but if you need the cats go with the high flow ones. The entire exhaust comes out in 2 large pieces so that makes it very easy it is just difficlut to get to some of the bolts that hold it to the exhaust manifolds. I would also recommend while you are in the transmission to go ahead and replace the slave cylinder. You don't want to have to do it twice. I just bought my SC it had a bad clutch when I bought it. I wish I would have had the tranny gone through at that time because I got the car back together and now it needs the syncros and or blocker rings replaced. I will be pulling my trans next week. Where are you from? There may be someone around here that could give you a hand.

clutch & valve covers

AV8R040
I wish i could do away with the cats, but its illigal here in california, no shop will do it. what brand and model of high flow cats would you recommend.. I've heard of Carr Sound cats here in california, and they say that they are high flow, quiet and quality. I would like my car to be as quiet as possible. I personally don't like cars that are loud, exhaust wise..
AsScLoWn
Would you recommend for me to take the TB, Inlet, and SC as one unit, or piece by piece..

Thanks guys, i really appreciate it....

:D

valve cover removal & installation

AsScLoWn
hhhmm i don't remember seeing any coolant lines, but maybe i didn't see them, but anyhow, i will toke of the TB with the air tube and have a magnet handy...
Thanks...

Valve Cover

heh heh heh cheater... well i'll take your word on it. i'll get me a pair of coke bottles, maybe that way i will be albe to see the coolant lines.. :p :p :p

Transmission Question

Hi AV8R040

I've been looking around trying to see what a slave cylinder looks like, but have not been succesful.. Youl wouldn't by any chance have a pic or what it looks like, would you ??? and you wouldn't know roughly how much they run for ?? oh yeah i am located in CA in Loa Angeles...
Thanks....:D

The slave cylinder sits on the input shaft of the transmission.

Not exactly like the picture below, but similar.

hydclth2.gif

Clutch & Valve Covers

hhhhmmmm..... I am curious, what is the purpose of the slave cylinder ??? What does it do ??
Thanks.....:confused:

Cars either have a hydraulic or manual clutch.

A manual clutch uses a linkage plus a lever plus a fork, plus a bearing to press against the pressure plate to disconnect the clutch.

A hydraulic clutch uses a hydraulic master cylinder to pressurize a hydraulic line which pushes on a cylinder either in or on the transmission.

Cylinders on the transmission then press a lever plus a fork plus a bearing to press against the pressure plate.

Cylinders in the transmission press a bearing to press against the pressure plate.

One is more reliable but a PITA to replace when it fails. The other is easy to replace, but is more prone to failure.

sorry it has taken so long to get back with this. I have been extreamly busy with other projects. Here is a pic of the complete clutch hyd system from the ford manuals.

Attachments

• scclutch.gif
    scclutch.gif
    38.4 KB · Views: 185
Slave Cylinder

OOOOOOHHHHHH !!!!!! coool... right now i have the transmission out of the car, and am gonna put it back together this weekend... Me and my friend took the tranny down, and we see the slave cylinder in good conditions, atleast exterior wise... he recommended that i leave it alone since its not giving me any problems, but not sure what to do... it was a lil hard disconnecting the hose that connects to the salve cylinder without the proper tools but we managed withough suffering too much.... hhhmmm what is the probability of it failing ??? as far as how long could it last ?? or should i just spend the extra 150 to get the slave cylinder ??? no problem about the delay, i always say better late than never.. heheheheh your help is greatly appreciated AV8R040 as well as everybody elses.......
Thanks....

Consider how much work it was to remove the transmission and decide how soon you want to do that again.

The slave cylinder will fail eventually. If you are at over 80K miles, it could fail at any time. If you have it down, I'd replace it unless you plan to be in the transmission again soon.

Back