hamonic balancer bolt sheared off

scgirlpassinu

As I have seen, looking around on this sight, this must be a problem with these engines? First my 89 SC sheared the bolt at about 90mph and luckily it took out the crank shaft sensor, shutting it off. We got a new harmonic balancer from ford and thought all was well. About a month later we discovered that the crank shaft was bent from that prior deal. My dad owns a repair shop, so we rebuilt the motor. Again, though it was all good again and after the first oil change I was "pushing" it a lil, and the bolt broke again!!! It has been sitting in a garage for almost a year now and I think I'm ready to try again, any suggestions? Appreciate it,
Victoria :)

Did you replace the crankshaft when you rebuilt the motor? Anyway, regardless your solution is to replace the stock balancer with a billet steel unit from BHJ. No more problems. :)

XR7 Dave said:
Did you replace the crankshaft when you rebuilt the motor? Anyway, regardless your solution is to replace the stock balancer with a billet steel unit from BHJ. No more problems. :)

Thanks
Yes I did replace the crank when we rebuilt it. Do you have a NUmber or site for that balancer?

Any BHJ dealer can get them, but I'm gonna guess that the price may be higher. Retail is over $400.

Back