Does your junkyard want $45 each for PBR calipers??

same problem down here, the junkyards are getting very expensive. It's a shame because before I could take $35 bucks and walk out of there with a good amount of parts, now I take $100 and I feel ripped off.

yeah that aint no lie, i just recently paid 60 bucks for a used timing cover. Then a few years back i paid 50 for a used hub, hey i was in high school and i was broke back then.

Damn! You guys don't have a "U-Wrench-It" there then? This place kicks a#*. They are the Wal-mart thrift store of junkyards.

All the cars are set up in rows and isles by make with BIG sign in front of each make, "GM", "FORD", "CHRYSLER", "IMPORTS", "TRUCKS/VANS". There is a price list frame in the main building before you go out the the yard so you know exactly what your paying. And in most cases there cool and hook you up anyway. All the cars are up on rims usually under the frame rails with one horizontally on the ground, then one rim welded vertically to raise the car about 2 feet off of the ground. The tanks are puncture and most of the fluids are already drained out. They even give you wheell barrows, engine hoists, port-o-potties :D And in the summer they sometimes are grilling hotdogs and hamburgers and have sodas and stuff for sale.

Here's an example of the glory of UWI- And I've posted this before...I got aluminum rearend parts off of a 94 Mark VIII.
Aluminum Driveshaft- $24
Aluminum Pumpkin- $22 (Same as in 2003 Cobras for approx $300)
Upper and lower control arms- $11 each

and a mint, absolutley mint condition 92 SC/LX front clip for $32.

I guess my area is kinda fortunate for have a facility like this. I know there are other U Wrench It's in the US. Are any buy you guys? I've only been to one other JY in my area and and I know there are at least 1/2 a dozen others and it was a far cry from UWI so, I'm guessing that it is not the norm to have such a clean and organized JY facility..??

well there are some of the U-Pull it places around here nut the one that is closeset to me is in tulsa and thats 45 min to an hour to get to the nearest one, and last time i checked you really didnt save all that much.

metalman said:
Damn! You guys don't have a "U-Wrench-It" there then? This place kicks a#*. They are the Wal-mart thrift store of junkyards.

All the cars are set up in rows and isles by make with BIG sign in front of each make, "GM", "FORD", "CHRYSLER", "IMPORTS", "TRUCKS/VANS". There is a price list frame in the main building before you go out the the yard so you know exactly what your paying. And in most cases there cool and hook you up anyway. All the cars are up on rims usually under the frame rails with one horizontally on the ground, then one rim welded vertically to raise the car about 2 feet off of the ground. The tanks are puncture and most of the fluids are already drained out. They even give you wheell barrows, engine hoists, port-o-potties :D And in the summer they sometimes are grilling hotdogs and hamburgers and have sodas and stuff for sale.

Here's an example of the glory of UWI- And I've posted this before...I got aluminum rearend parts off of a 94 Mark VIII.
Aluminum Driveshaft- $24
Aluminum Pumpkin- $22 (Same as in 2003 Cobras for approx $300)
Upper and lower control arms- $11 each

and a mint, absolutley mint condition 92 SC/LX front clip for $32.

I guess my area is kinda fortunate for have a facility like this. I know there are other U Wrench It's in the US. Are any buy you guys? I've only been to one other JY in my area and and I know there are at least 1/2 a dozen others and it was a far cry from UWI so, I'm guessing that it is not the norm to have such a clean and organized JY facility..??
I have one just like that here in NM. I got all of my 5 speed swap parts including the tranny and driveshaft for about $140. I go there once a week just to look around sometimes. I just got a like new set of Moog upper control arms with grease fittings for the ball joints for $30. The damn place is addicting!

90XR7Cougar5spd said:
by the way.................What are PBR calipers?????

They are the 99+ Mustang dual piston calipers that can be used on tbirds with 93+ spindles... They are spose to make us stop better!!!
I've already got the 93 spindles, so I need some for my upgrade...

metalman said:

I am not aware of where one is anywhere around here...

We had one in South Carolina where I grew up, but they stopped halfway through my senior year of high school. It sucked back when they changed it, as I spent my junior , and half my senior year keeping my 79 Indy pace car edition Mustang running!

They said it was for insurance reasons... but I think its becasue they can make more money taking parts off cars at their leisure for dealerships and shops.

We have one a little ways off that is fairly inexpensive, but they want you to come by, verify the part you want, pay for it, then they will pull it off for you when they can... So two trips 20 miles or so away to get a decent deal... and they didn't have any 99+ stangs...

What really sucks, is that you can KNOW (as in have driven by the day before, and seen a car) and they will say we aint got none of those... cause the ba$tard$ are too lazy to deal with you...

A few years ago when I was looking for a used AOD, the cheapest one I could find was about $400 with 30 day warranty... So I just rebuild mine myself.

If anyone near north AL or southern TN knows of a good salvage yard, please let me know!!!

If there was one close, I'd be looking for some power steering parts, and A/C add on for my 73 F100. But then again, I'd prolly need to go to a V8 for all that... No telling what they'd want for a used 302/351... I do have my eye in the paper for a used 351 or bigger...

Back