no spark..... What to do first?

mustangdan65

Car started to start dying all of the sudden. The tach would drop and it was like someone shut the car off. Let it sit a second and it would fire right up. I did notice that the tach would not register if it was not going to start. When it starts, the tach goes up to about 6-700 rpm. Well, I brought it home and parked it figuring it needed a cam sensor. Got a new one and no spark. Checked all the connections and still no spark. Changed the coil pack, no spark. Changed the DIS module, still no spark. Now, could it be a bad cam sensor still or is it the crank sensor? The shift light stays on when cranking. It is a 90sc 5 speed. Thanks Guys for the help, if anyone knows SC's it is the SCCOA gang! :confused:

If you changed the cam sensor and all the other stuff, I'm gonna have to say its your crank sensor. When my cam sensor went out, the car stalled. It restarted after a few tries and blew a lot of unburnt fuel out, but after that ran fine, although my tach didn't work. Every time I'd have to crank it 4 or 5 times and it'd flood and then run. Changed the cam sensor and it fired right up, tach worked, and got better gas mileage.

Scott Long said:
If you changed the cam sensor and all the other stuff, I'm gonna have to say its your crank sensor. When my cam sensor went out, the car stalled. It restarted after a few tries and blew a lot of unburnt fuel out, but after that ran fine, although my tach didn't work. Every time I'd have to crank it 4 or 5 times and it'd flood and then run. Changed the cam sensor and it fired right up, tach worked, and got better gas mileage.
It was a used cam sensor I used and am not sure if it was bad or not.... I bought it a couple years ago off e-bay knowing we had these problems. Is there a way to test them? Will the shift light stay on with a bad cam sensor, or is that a crank sensor thing? Thanks so much!!! My car being down sucks! Riding my Ducati in the rain is no fun!!!!!

Get yourself a new crank sensor. The car will still run after three tries if it was the cam sensor. (Guesses which bank of cylinders to fire) Without the crank signal, you will NOT be able to start at all. The sure sign is your UP shift light staying on. That's my 2-cents.

Back