brake pedal/ lights

goodguy

I'm experiencing a problem with my break pedal and brake lights. When i put my foot on the brake to start the car, the pedal is high till it starts and then drops some. In order to get the brake lights to light up i have to press hard on the brake. While driving i have good pedal and fair brakes. Still have to press hard to get the lights to light up.

Anyone have any ideas or a cure? Thanks

Do a forum search on "ABS accumulator" and have a happy read. :D Yours need to be replaced. But do read up. :)

Thanks, I did do a search but there was so much information on brakes, I got lost....lol
I'll search as you suggested....Thanks

it could also be a broken or faulty brake light switch mounted on the brake pedal. $10 at autozone.

Last edited:
goodguy said:
I'm experiencing a problem with my break pedal and brake lights. When i put my foot on the brake to start the car, the pedal is high till it starts and then drops some. In order to get the brake lights to light up i have to press hard on the brake. While driving i have good pedal and fair brakes. Still have to press hard to get the lights to light up.

Anyone have any ideas or a cure? Thanks
Ooops. my bad.. I thought you were referring to the brake and anti-lock lights on the dash board.. Disregard my comments and go buy a new stop-lamp switch. They run about $6 at autozone. :eek:

brake light switch

Ok guys, i'll try the cheaper one first. Is the switch located under the dash or some where else like the master cylinder?
Thanks for your help

Follow the brake pedal up to where it goes into the firewall, you'll see a harness with 2 wires going into a rectangular plastic box that is on the pedal itself. you should be able to see a spring on it. there's a cotter pin holding it on a post that comes from the brake pedal. remove that cotter pin with needle nose and work it off the end of the post and disconnect it from the harness. it's pretty easy to do but it's a little cramped and awkward to get to. even with a new switch, my brake lights don't come on til the pedal's about 1/4 way down.

Back