My SC has all of these/

wornoutsc

I just purchaced this SC (cheap), and it has all these problems: A/C not working, new fan still not working, bad idle, and sometimes the radio does not work? This car only has 67,000 miles!

The A/C has freon, the compressor clutch engages, and it still blows hot air?

Bad idle, and then dies?

The previous owner put a new fan, T-stat, and RAD on it, fan still not working and does run hot?

The radio sometimes goes out after start-up?

Which shop manual is best: Chilton, Haynes , or Ford's?

wornoutsc said:
I just purchaced this SC (cheap), and it has all these problems: A/C not working, new fan still not working, bad idle, and sometimes the radio does not work? This car only has 67,000 miles!

Bad idle, and then dies?

The previous owner put a new fan, T-stat, and RAD on it, fan still not working and does run hot?

This may point you in the right direction..
If the fan is not working that could explain the a/c problems. The temp that is blows out is only a delta of the condensor temp, therefore with out a fan the condensor could be getting real hot, thus hot are inside..The fan should automatically cut on when the ac compressor engages. fix fan first..then you need to put a set of ac guages on and see what the pressures are..

Fan, check for power, fuses first of course, then this is controlled by a relay and a coolant sensor.. the relay is located in a black box by the battery, if memory serves me well it's called the ircm. There are posts on how to repair that unit if needed ( a little time and radio shack )

On the radio, does any other dash light go out with it? If so, wiggle the ignition key and see if it returns, if so ignition switch.... otherwise you could have a radio problem itself. Search the list and you will find a guy that rebuilds them for a flat $100.

kpatton said:
This may point you in the right direction..
If the fan is not working that could explain the a/c problems. The temp that is blows out is only a delta of the condensor temp, therefore with out a fan the condensor could be getting real hot, thus hot are inside..The fan should automatically cut on when the ac compressor engages. fix fan first..then you need to put a set of ac guages on and see what the pressures are..

Fan, check for power, fuses first of course, then this is controlled by a relay and a coolant sensor.. the relay is located in a black box by the battery, if memory serves me well it's called the ircm. There are posts on how to repair that unit if needed ( a little time and radio shack )

On the radio, does any other dash light go out with it? If so, wiggle the ignition key and see if it returns, if so ignition switch.... otherwise you could have a radio problem itself. Search the list and you will find a guy that rebuilds them for a flat $100.
Right on info.. :cool: Need to add 1 very important note.. DON'T RUN the A/C if the fan is not working.. the pressures may get to high and if the pressure release valve isn't there or doesn't work properly, you can blow out the condenser. :(

In the good seller's list, the guy who fixes the radio's name is Paul Protos. :)

Fond cooling fan problem

wornoutsc said:

Bad idle, and then dies?

It was a burned wire below the fuse box behind the battery. The wire was rubbing the washer tank, and it wore thru the insulation and shorted. Thanks guys, it was a good day, cooling fan working, right window now working(replaced the motor) Now to attack the A/C!!!

Back