Lean codes on both banks

mcate

Codes 136 & 172. Looks like I'm chasing another friggin vacuum leak just like last year. I've got the upper IC tube off right now, & I'm getting ready to put it back on with more copper RTV this time. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'll have to do the lower one too. I saw some areas on the upper one that didn't look like there was enough RTV, so I'm gambling it was the upper one.

Success, or so it would seem.......

Well, I put the upper IC tube back on & drove the car around. I kept getting that damn light, so I disconnected the battery to clear out all the old codes & let the computer relearn everything. Drove it around for 20 minutes or so, & no light. "Maybe" I got it right.
Another lesson to fellow SC'ers from this: I noticed a vacuum line with some sort of sensor on it had fallen off of something behind my passenger headlight. I wasn't sure what any of it was, but a guy in my office said it's the charcoal canister for the fuel line, & the sensor is actually a solenoid that opens when the engine is running. Vapor from the fuel line is drawn back into the engine from the engine's vacuum. It may or may not have affected the vacuum problem, but at least it's back on. And who knows how long it was off!

I seem to be chasing a vacuum leak myself. The vacuum on cold starts is about 12 and the car will stall out on me once or twice. When the car warms up, the vacuum will rise to about 18. It seems like the metal expands and closes the vacuum leak. BUT, I was drive around today and at a light the car just died. I'd start it up and it would feel rough, moving the boost needle but with little power. I then shut the car off doing about 50 MPH and restarted it in neutral and the problem seemed to go away for a while.
I girlfriend actually suggested the TPS cause her Escape was shutting of on her mid-driving due to a TPS recall from Ford.

What do ya know...she's learning a bit about cars! :D

Any suggestions to look for?

metalman said:
I seem to be chasing a vacuum leak myself. The vacuum on cold starts is about 12 and the car will stall out on me once or twice. When the car warms up, the vacuum will rise to about 18. It seems like the metal expands and closes the vacuum leak. BUT, I was drive around today and at a light the car just died. I'd start it up and it would feel rough, moving the boost needle but with little power. I then shut the car off doing about 50 MPH and restarted it in neutral and the problem seemed to go away for a while.
I girlfriend actually suggested the TPS cause her Escape was shutting of on her mid-driving due to a TPS recall from Ford.

What do ya know...she's learning a bit about cars! :D

Any suggestions to look for?

Once again this car lulled me into a false sense of security! Just took it out & started getting CE lights after just a few minutes. Got it home & ran the codes, & it's still lean on both banks. I don't know where to look next.

Back