PDA

View Full Version : 96 conversion

superweasel
06-08-2005, 07:01 PM
hey guts its nice to be back on the website. I have come into an 96 regular v-6 that I was considering changeing to a supercoupe since I have an 89 sitting in the driveway and I am not doing anything with it. was wondering if anyone has done this and what problems to look out for on the project. any help is appreciated.

90XR7Cougar5spd
06-08-2005, 07:32 PM
hey guts its nice to be back on the website. I have come into an 96 regular v-6 that I was considering changeing to a supercoupe since I have an 89 sitting in the driveway and I am not doing anything with it. was wondering if anyone has done this and what problems to look out for on the project. any help is appreciated.

Your in luck i ran a search for a guy on this last night.........
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/search.php?searchid=221782

90XR7Cougar5spd
06-08-2005, 07:34 PM
mmmm ok sorry apparently the link dosnt work after a certain time period, anywho, just run a search and you will find out what you need to know

Melon
06-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Yes.. the swap has been done before. I'll admit upfront that I don't remember alot of the technical information, I will recommend a few things:

1) Have the donor car there! That is a huge one. It makes life easier when you need a certain wiring harness or something. It's nice to walk over to the car and get it isntead of tracking it down or trying to explain to someone over the phone or through e-mail which one it is.

2) Have a good wiring diagram of each vehicle. It might seem dumb, but it was nice to have access to them when the swap was done on mine. Some of the harnesses had all the right wires, just not in the right spot and would just need to be repinned.

3) Take your time - The actual swap doesn't really take all that long since you know parts should fit. But IIRC, it's the wiring that gets to a pain.

And since you've got a 96 and the donor appears to be an 89, I highly recommend doing something with the transmission. You won't be able to take the AOD (if it's an auto) since you've got the 4R70W. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info than I've posted. And I know of 3 cars that exist with the SC swap - one Thunderbird and two Cougars.

-Melon

superweasel
06-12-2005, 04:13 AM
thanks for the help guts. I am going to try the serch as soon as I can . hey melon do you mean that I cant go from the 89 to the 96 with the auto, or I cant use the auto in the 96 with the 89 motor. the 89 ha s a five speed that needs some major help but the 96 has a auto that I just rebuilt and runs fine for a luxury shift. thanks again for the help and info.