Headgaskets (not a blown hg thread lol)

91_SC_BIRD

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a motor that has a fresh rebuilt. The bottom end was prof. rebuilt, and the heads were brought to a machine shop that planed them and everything. When the guy installed them, he used Feelpro gaskets, but reused the old head studs. I know that the head studs are one time use, but I was wondering, If i get new studs either stock or ARP. Will I have to replace the headgasket? The motor has never been started, I'm just not sure if there is anything wrong with changing the bolts (without moving the head at all).

Thanks

i dont think there would be a prob if it was never started . me i used the old headbolts and its been ok for over 20000 miles still runs great that was around 205 thousand now its 225

rlong said:
i dont think there would be a prob if it was never started . me i used the old headbolts and its been ok for over 20000 miles still runs great that was around 205 thousand now its 225

I guess that's chance to take! My worry is that just taking pressure off the headgaskets(when removing the bolts) and then retorqing it again would mess it up :confused:

eh, i would guess it would probably be alright.

I would, however suggest not to take all the old bolts out then putting the new ones in, but rather take one out, replace it, then go around like that. That way there is only ever one bolt out at once.

Back