Antilock light still on

SC Cid

My symptoms:

Antilock light on dash always on
When I pressed the brake pedal the red brake light would flash for a split second

I changed out the accumulator and the pedal feels fine and the red brake light stays off now. Antilock system isn't working as the brakes will lockup. The antilock light is still on, how do I get this light off?

Last edited:
Easy way out

It sounds to me your ABS module has failed. If it is like my 1990 SC it will be located in the trunk. (I am not too familiar with the later models). If you do not want to fix your ABS system you can simply just remove the bulb that lights up behind your ABS indicator on the instrunment cluster. To do this remove the dash trim from around the steering column then disconnect the two wiring harnesses attached to the instrunment cluster. Pull out the cluster and take out the bulb. This would solve your problem just as long as the ABS failure does not interfere with any other vehicle systems. I wouldn't think it will but don't quote me on that. This should solve your issues with the light staying on. I would recommend though that you get the ABS looked at ASAP just to be certain it will not damage anything else further. (From my experience, ABS indicators fail due to constant spinning of the rear wheels on pavement.)

I really wanted to try to repair the ABS, so would the next step to try be buy a code reader or just start looking at connections?

Back