Negative battery cable

Brando B

Hi all, I have a 1990SC w/aod and I'm in the middle of changing my battery cables because they are old and cracked, but when I went to follow the negative cable to see where it was bolted to, I found that it wasn't bolted to anything. The negative cable went towards the engine block and disappeared behind the oil filter, but when i started pulling at the it pulled straight out. I thought it was weird considering I never had any problems starting my car or any other electical issues with my car. My question is, where should I bolt the new battery cable to?

Thanks,
Brando

It is supposed to connect to the engine mount bracket on the driver's side. I would think that any place on the frame where you can get good electrical contact would work. If you decide to hook it back to the mount bracket, you might as well replace the mounts (if they need it).

Brando B said:
Hi all, I have a 1990SC w/aod and I'm in the middle of changing my battery cables because they are old and cracked, but when I went to follow the negative cable to see where it was bolted to, I found that it wasn't bolted to anything. The negative cable went towards the engine block and disappeared behind the oil filter, but when i started pulling at the it pulled straight out. I thought it was weird considering I never had any problems starting my car or any other electical issues with my car. My question is, where should I bolt the new battery cable to?

Thanks,
Brando

Bolt it back to the block. I wouldn't put it on the frame.

frame

Super XR7 said:
Bolt it back to the block. I wouldn't put it on the frame.
it should be bolted to the frame securely and then make sure the grounding straps to the block are also in good shape and solid. otherwise there could be electrical problems. if the ground is on the block the items that ground to the frame may not get good ground due to rubber mounts and vice versa

Back