Alum drive shaft

J

Joisey Jim

I just got off the phone with The Driveline Shop ( I believe I got their card from last years SEMA show in Atlantic City). Anyways, they quoted me $300.77 + approx $20 shipping for a replacement alum. shaft (3.5" 6061/T6 alum) for my '94 SC. Their turn around time is about 3 days and, they need me to send them my diff flange & trans spline, so as to balance the whole unit, inc. new UJ's. That sounds like a very keen price, so I wondered if anyone had used them before and, if there is any interest in a group buy.
Jim.

How much does it weigh? I weighed an aluminum Mustang driveshaft and the stocker and there was only 4 pounds between the 2. Not worth the extra money.

Jeff

Alum driveshaft

J57ltr said:
How much does it weigh? I weighed an aluminum Mustang driveshaft and the stocker and there was only 4 pounds between the 2. Not worth the extra money.

Jeff

It's not only weight, it's balance and critical speed limit on the stocker.

Joisey Jim said:
I just got off the phone with The Driveline Shop ( I believe I got their card from last years SEMA show in Atlantic City). Anyways, they quoted me $300.77 + approx $20 shipping for a replacement alum. shaft (3.5" 6061/T6 alum) for my '94 SC. Their turn around time is about 3 days and, they need me to send them my diff flange & trans spline, so as to balance the whole unit, inc. new UJ's. That sounds like a very keen price, so I wondered if anyone had used them before and, if there is any interest in a group buy.
Jim.

Jim,

I ordered an aluminum driveshaft on a TCCoA group buy a couple weeks ago and mine included new u-joints, stub shaft and diff yoke for $350 shipped to my door.

Might want to check it out before ordering.

David

David Neibert said:
Jim,

I ordered an aluminum driveshaft on a TCCoA group buy a couple weeks ago and mine included new u-joints, stub shaft and diff yoke for $350 shipped to my door.

Might want to check it out before ordering.

David

David:

I got a DS from the same group buy you mention. I am very pleased with it and the customer service at PST is amazing! I would recommend them too. Not to necessarily sway anyone away from another place, but we are all here to benefit from others' experiences. P.S. Ours, as you know, are balanced to 8500 rpm.

Joisey Jim said:
Jim.

Jim, Just my .02 but reusing your flange and yoke you take a chance after years of use. You save $75 bucks but you also have now setup yourself if the used parts fail and damage the driveshaft. I had one driveline shop that made me a driveshaft but decided grinding metal off the yoke to balance it was OK. :eek: My 2nd driveshaft was made by Denny's it took them 3 tries before they were able to make me a stock driveshaft. :mad: I gave them c/l - c/l measurements but someone in the shop kept adding or subtracting measurements for yoke slip. Seems like a shop that makes driveshafts would be able to understand but 4 driveshafts later they got it right. Make sure the driveshaft is balanced by aluminum weights.

AOD, T5, and M5R2 all share the same 28 spline yoke. Easy swap to the new driveshaft. C/L Yoke to C/L yoke.

94-97 3.8L 4R70W 57" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")
89-95 3.8L M5R2 53.80" driveshaft (M5R2 overall length 35")
89-93 3.8L AOD 57.80" driveshaft (AOD overall length 31")
94-97 4.6L 4R70W 58.20" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")
93-98 Mark VIII 4R70W 58.20" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")
94-04 Crown Vic 4R70W 55.50" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")

Rich

Thanks for all your input guys, particularly the PST recommendation and dimensions, Rich. I have to drop the tank to upgrade the fuel pump and have always been frustrated by the limiter on my '94 auto; so I was going to replace the shaft at the same time (especially after hearing about one member actually breaking the stock shaft). I miss being able to open up my '94 like I used to on my '93 5-speed when I go up to Canada.

I couldn't find PST on the TCCOA site - can you point me in the right direction,
thanks, Jim.

Joisey Jim said:
Thanks for all your input guys, particularly the PST recommendation and dimensions, Rich. I have to drop the tank to upgrade the fuel pump and have always been frustrated by the limiter on my '94 auto; so I was going to replace the shaft at the same time (especially after hearing about one member actually breaking the stock shaft). I miss being able to open up my '94 like I used to on my '93 5-speed when I go up to Canada.

Joisey Jim said:
I couldn't find PST on the TCCOA site - can you point me in the right direction,
thanks, Jim.

I should have mentioned the thread specifically instead of PST. Not sure if people knew it was PST or not. I only knew this b/c I needed to call them directly in FL. Great group of people they are. I know, I keep saying that.

David - I appreciate the link, but the Group Buy is over. I see PST appears to be in Florida, does anyone have more details (address/phone/web site).
Thanks, Jim.

Joisey Jim said:
David - I appreciate the link, but the Group Buy is over. I see PST appears to be in Florida, does anyone have more details (address/phone/web site).
Thanks, Jim.

Yep, Precision Shaft Technologies (PST). Clearwater, FL 1-888-575-7888. I believe they close at 5:30 ET, so in about 5 mins.

Hey Joycie Jim..

It was I that broke the drive shaft in half and blew the tail housing with the shaft off, the one that goes inside, the one where the yoke slips into.. I was racing a Mark VIII @ 125mph.. I kicked his butt over and over..

Drty

yes now my car will have continued success on the NASCAR circuit due to this product :confused: , no more exploding driveshafts for me :rolleyes:

Has anyone here even thought about the fact that you can pick up a mark8 shaft up cheap from a junkyard and have it cut to your length and balanced. Would be a hell of alot cheaper than $350. I picked up a mark8 shaft for about $105 from a local yard and one of the local driveline shops in my town told me $50 to have it cut and balanced. So thats $155 compared to $350.

Shane

Hey Dirty South - that's scarey. I regularly run up to the speed limiter of 127/130mph when I'm in Canada; so it sounds like I should get an alum shaft before it happens to me. I miss my 5 speed so badly, as I used to have a lot of fun up to 150mph - not many people want to race that high, even Vette drivers. So you can imagine my horror when trying to pass a Bonneville at 130 in my 94 automatic only to have the car stop in it's tracks.
Jim.

Back