Lean codes both banks

mcate

Car idles fine. Gauge holds 20 at idle & pegs under full boost. I was getting an occasional CE light the past few days, then yesterday I had the cold air intake off & noticed something laying inside the front bumper. Turns out it was the solenoid for the fuel line vapor recovery (or whatever it's called). The piece of vacuum line that holds it on the charcoal canister had cracked & it fell off. I put it back on, & now I'm getting the light much more often. Codes 136 & 172. All the vacuum lines appear to be connected. I removed the upper IC tube yesterday & replaced it using a thicker coating of copper RTV. Gonna try the lower one next. I'm running out of ideas. What else could it be besides a vacuum leak? Low fuel pressure perhaps? The 02 sensors & fuel filter were replaced last year when I was chasing a vacuum leak. Car only has 39k miles on it.

If you are holding 20" of vacuum at idle I don't think you have any leaks. I just went thru a similar more serious condition on my '93 5-speed, where I would just get an engine light flash (code 172) while shifting between 1st & 2nd gear and, the found that the 02 sensor was white coated. I replaced the sensor and the problem went away for a week or so, then the car would stall out and wouldn't hold idle at all (only 7-10" of vacuum). Turned out my balancer was wobbling and causing timing irregularities and, maybe I've also burnt a valve in the process (hence the idle vacuum problem). So I would observe your crankshaft pulley with the engine running to look for any wobble (big or small) and use a mirror to check that the main crank bolt and the 4 smaller pulley bolts are all intact.

mcate said:
Car idles fine. Gauge holds 20 at idle & pegs under full boost. I was getting an occasional CE light the past few days, then yesterday I had the cold air intake off & noticed something laying inside the front bumper. Turns out it was the solenoid for the fuel line vapor recovery (or whatever it's called). The piece of vacuum line that holds it on the charcoal canister had cracked & it fell off. I put it back on, & now I'm getting the light much more often. Codes 136 & 172. All the vacuum lines appear to be connected. I removed the upper IC tube yesterday & replaced it using a thicker coating of copper RTV. Gonna try the lower one next. I'm running out of ideas. What else could it be besides a vacuum leak? Low fuel pressure perhaps? The 02 sensors & fuel filter were replaced last year when I was chasing a vacuum leak. Car only has 39k miles on it.

Thanx, I'll check it out this weekend. I sure hope it's not anything that serious!

Back