right rear wheel hub/spindle/bearing

hytorksc

well it's happening again after my install 3 months ago. i had replaced the entire knuckle assembly including the bearing with a used one i got off of ebay (was in very good shape too), and it's making noises again. the rear end just started jerking around like crazy when changing lanes, and i'm not sure what to do this time. i don't want to do this and have to replace it again in the future. Any advise??

what up

so when u replace the bearing did u change the hub assy u know the thing with the studs for the wheel and torque it to 200 ft/lbs it might be the same thing as the what u called it but mine went bad i change the bearing and come to find out that it was bad to .. plus if u change it go down and get your rearend alighed that may be causing it to . hope this helps later

hytorksc said:
well it's happening again after my install 3 months ago. i had replaced the entire knuckle assembly including the bearing with a used one i got off of ebay (was in very good shape too), and it's making noises again. the rear end just started jerking around like crazy when changing lanes, and i'm not sure what to do this time. i don't want to do this and have to replace it again in the future. Any advise??

Verify the runout of the rear hub bearing or you will take a chance the bearing will not last. The rear bearing is pressed in then the hub. Replace the rear bearing and reuse the hub. You cannot do the job yourself without the special bearing cup. I took my hubs to Ford and paid them for labor.

Rich

i replaced all components- bearing, spindle/hub, knuckle. It came as one piece with everything pressed in. When i installed it, the wheel did not wobble at all- everything was tight. then after 4 months of daily driving, it's messing up again. i don't understand why it would do this if every wheel component was replaced (although it was a used one- maybe it was about to go bad in the first place).

Maybe what i should have done was to replace the bearing anyway on the good spindle before installing the new piece.

What do you guys think i should do?

thanks-

I have had to do this 3 times in one year. Twice at ford. I did it myself, and had a shop press the bearing into the spindle, but my hub was worn, so I had to get a new one. I replaced the hub nut, torqued it down to spec, and then put a 2 ft. breaker bar on it, jumped on it, and put a **** load of red loctite on it. Now its been fine for 2 years.

I think the treads on my axle shaft are wearing and thats why it failed again so soon, because when it went bad and was grinding the nut walked itself loose. Hence the hefty application of red loctite and extremely high torque.

Back