supercharger question

rptr660

i got an 89 sc and its got a smaller pulley on the sc, everything else is stock. when its idleing it puffs smoke out of the oil fill on the valve cover and the dipstick also it is idling it about 1800 rpm and no smoke out of the exhast and its also blowing oil out somewere and burning on the manifolds. people has told me blow head gaskets but oil is normal black. if someone could give me advice it would be apreciated. thanks my email is xxhipocrisyxx@yahoo.com danny martin

Danny - a smaller (overdrive) pulley on the supercharger can be a problem if the exhaust hasn't been upgraded. But let's try to address your problems one at a time. First let's make sure your PCV system is working properly to avoid pressurizing the crank case - it maybe the cause of your oil fill & dipstick smoke. So check the pcv valve itself, and the intake pipe at both ends (the one that goes into the drivers side valve cover and the other end that connects to the underside of the air intake tube between the MAF & throttle body). Secondly the high idle is most likely an old or stuck IAB/C valve on the side of the throttle body - you can try cleaning the bellows thru the bypass passage on the TB with an electrical safe type cleaner, but generally that only provides temporary relief. Your throttle plate may also be open at idle due to crud from the pcv tube or just need some fine adjustment. There are also lots of causes as far as oil leaks are concerned, but from what you describe it sounds to me like your valve covers are leaking & that would directly correspond to the oil fill smoke condition as well. As far as head gaskets are concerned I guess the obvious & worst case would be white smoke out the exhaust from the burnt coolant, but crankcase pressure can be a symptom, so you should also look for bubbles in the coolant (radiator & recovery bottle), sudden coolant loss, white coating on the 02 sensors, plugs etc. Even a cylinder compression or leakdown test might help.

rptr660 said:
i got an 89 sc and its got a smaller pulley on the sc, everything else is stock. when its idleing it puffs smoke out of the oil fill on the valve cover and the dipstick also it is idling it about 1800 rpm and no smoke out of the exhast and its also blowing oil out somewere and burning on the manifolds. people has told me blow head gaskets but oil is normal black. if someone could give me advice it would be apreciated. thanks my email is xxhipocrisyxx@yahoo.com danny martin

re supercharger question

Joisey Jim said:
Danny - a smaller (overdrive) pulley on the supercharger can be a problem if the exhaust hasn't been upgraded. But let's try to address your problems one at a time. First let's make sure your PCV system is working properly to avoid pressurizing the crank case - it maybe the cause of your oil fill & dipstick smoke. So check the pcv valve itself, and the intake pipe at both ends (the one that goes into the drivers side valve cover and the other end that connects to the underside of the air intake tube between the MAF & throttle body). Secondly the high idle is most likely an old or stuck IAB/C valve on the side of the throttle body - you can try cleaning the bellows thru the bypass passage on the TB with an electrical safe type cleaner, but generally that only provides temporary relief. Your throttle plate may also be open at idle due to crud from the pcv tube or just need some fine adjustment. There are also lots of causes as far as oil leaks are concerned, but from what you describe it sounds to me like your valve covers are leaking & that would directly correspond to the oil fill smoke condition as well. As far as head gaskets are concerned I guess the obvious & worst case would be white smoke out the exhaust from the burnt coolant, but crankcase pressure can be a symptom, so you should also look for bubbles in the coolant (radiator & recovery bottle), sudden coolant loss, white coating on the 02 sensors, plugs etc. Even a cylinder compression or leakdown test might help.
do you know where to buy the stock pully ??

you can probably get one for around $20 on the classifieds section of this site. I have one but I might throw it back on my car.

Back