Need help with my motor mounts.

slappinpavement

I have a 90 sc and i am wondering if anyone could help oe instruct me with tackling the intimidating job of replaceing my (for lack of a better word) shanty liquid motor mounts.

Advance Autoparts- liquid filled: $80, or solid: $40. If you have access to a lift, it's best. If not, jack up as best and high as you can, and using jack stands of coarse.

Get to both from under the car, the entire job. Remove the starter and knock sensor (directly in front of the starter, screws into the block's water jacket) to get to the passenger side mount, and remove the mount bolts. Then detach the exhaust and the steering linkage and push the steering column up into itself being careful not to turn the wheel at all (you don't want to break your clock spring like I did, DOOOHHH!!!!) to get to the driver's side, and remove the mount bolts. Get another jack and a 2X4 and jack the engine up a bit at the oil pan. Pull the old mounts and replace with new. Finish in reverse of what I just instructed. It will take you several hours, and will earn you a Purple SC Heart. A rotator cuff injury (from having my arms up in the air ALL DAY LONG FOR 2 DAYS and straining the whole time) was what I had to show for it.

I did mine last fall, and this is the instructions pretty much to the tee, from what I can remember.

If anyone else notices that I forgot something, please add it. I don't want this guy to go through what I did: I had no instructions whatsoever, all day Saturday for passenger side and all day Sunday for driver's side, just for me to figure out how to do it FROM SCRATCH.

Good luck dude.

Last edited:
Just curious...

I just noticed that you got good advise back in March on changing your mounts. Why are you asking the same question again? I'm not trying to be smart, but did you not like the answers you got before? Good luck and take care.

Mounts

Maybe I can help, I just did mine. On the drivers side, all that has to be removed is the steering linkage like previously stated. You can get the bolts with out removing any of the intercooler stuff. I did both of mine from the bottom. Now on the passenger side, I didnt remove ANYTHING!!! My old mounts were ripped in two, so what I did was took out the bolts and slid both the top half and bottom half out between the swaybar through the bottom front of the engine area. When reinstalling, I mounted the nut to the top bracket, and slid it up into the motor mount area. Then I took the bottom half of the bracket, and maneuvered it up in there too. I then bolted the bottom bracket to the bottom of the mount, and with a little persuasion got it to slide in from the front. This was my way, and not the only way, but may be the easiest. I took my time and made sure not to ruin anything. Hope this helps you out a little bit, THanks Mike

AlanEdwards said:
Just curious...

I just noticed that you got good advise back in March on changing your mounts. Why are you asking the same question again? I'm not trying to be smart, but did you not like the answers you got before? Good luck and take care.

Motor mounts werent gone in march? I havent been a member that long.

Back