Lower I/C Tube Removal on 94 SC

tedallen

I am trying to remove the lower I/C tube on a '94 SC (actually just move it enough so that I can clean the ends and install a teflon gasket set. I have read several posts, most of which indicate that the accessory bracket with P/S pump must be slid forward to remove the lower I/C tube.

I have already removed the stud bolt that goes into the P/S pump bracket in the horizontal plane. As best I can tell, if I can get to the bolt that comes into the inboard side of the I/C tube from below, I should be able to move the tube enough to get to the S/C end of the tube for cleaning and to fit the gasket.

I read one post that indicated you could get to this bolt from underneath the car by inserting an extension up through a hole in the subframe. I can only see one hole there and it doesn't appear to me that it will line up with the bolt. Has anyone attempted this procedure without removing enough bolts/nuts to move the accessory backet forward? If I can just get that lower bolt out, I'll probably leave it out, as I can't see how much added value it provides with the tube already attached to the bracket via the stud bolt only a few inches away. Any assistance is appreciated. I am trying to complete this job by tomorrow and want to replace the plugs and wires while I have the tubes loose.

Well this might get you started, but I can understand getting the upper flange of the lower tube may be tough.

#1 - Take the big bolts off the upper and lower intercooler tubes. Then you can use a 5.5mm, or 6mm socket and back out the studs from the intercooler.

#2 - Once you have the studs backed out you can take the two bolts off the top of the intercooler and lift it out of the way.

Once you have that out you can get at those ends really easy. you may need to then loosen the bolts on the bracket, maybe use the same small socket to back the studs out of the bracket there as well to get movement in the tubes enough to get the other end cleaned up and gaskets installed.

I just know that once I realized how easy it was to take the studs out, that made it all much easier.

Thanks for the fast reply Mike8675309. I have already removed the intercooler. I had removed the 4 nuts that secure the I/C tubes to the I/C, the collar that secures the upper I/C tube to the S/C, and the 2 nuts that secure the lower I/C tube to the S/C (actually the entire stud ended up backing out on the lowest bottom I/C tube to S/C connection).

All that is left holding the thing is the one bolt that comes up from below into what I believe to be the P/S pump bracket. If I can just get it out (preferably w/o removing belt(s), P/S pump, etc.), I'll be in good shape.

As I stated earlier, I just need to gain a few inches movement forward to get access to properly clean the end of the tube and install the teflon gasket. I don't care if I can't get the vertically mounted bolt back in or not.

If you want to get the bracket loose and slide it forward you can just take the bolts out. One is a stud with a nut on it. If I recall, two bolts , one nut. The problem with the lower bolt is that to get at it on most cars you have to remove the bracket attached to the water pump to the power steering pump mount. The only way to get that bracket off is to pull the power steering pump pulley.

If you do pull that bracket off, don't bother putting it back on, why it's there isn't clear but most people have it off with no issues.

Thanks for the input on the lower I/C tube. I finally gave up on trying to get the vertical bolt out that comes up through the bottom. For what I needed to accomplish it looked like trying to move the accessory bracket forward was going to be way more work than it was worth. I was able to get the tube moved enough so that I could clean up the joining faces of the tube and the S/C so I could install the teflon gasket.

After getting them installed, and numerous other items, I still have idle issues. I'll start another thread to discuss further.

Back