'90 SC wont idle below 2500

beetlebaileys

HELP, My '90 SC wont idle below 2500. Just started this tonight. I drove it earlier today and it ran perfectly. Parked it and about an hour later I had to run to the store. It started and idlied fine when I took off but when I slowed down for a turn I noticed it was pushing me a bit. Pushed the clutch and revs go to aprox 2500. I checked the throtle linkage and its fully closed but stays at 2500 with some slight surging.I dont see anything obvious and my factory shop manual was absolutly no help.
I bought this Bird new back in '90. has 127000 mi mostly highway. box stock 5 speed has never had any major problems and still runs strong.
Thanks for any help.

yo... i believe ur IAC valve has gone south... replace it with a OEM one from ford.... does it make a loud noise when u turn off the car?

darkstar_one said:
yo... i believe ur IAC valve has gone south... replace it with a OEM one from ford.... does it make a loud noise when u turn off the car?
Thanks darkstar for the info. Now without sounding totaly stupid. What is a IAC valve? Where is it located? Aprox $$? I have been doing all my own wrenching for at least 40 years but know next to nothing about all the electronics and sensers on late model iron.This bird has been pretty trouble free till now and I cant see taking it to a dealer for something I can do.(if I knew what).Yes it has been making a rather strange sound lately when I shut it down. Kinda like a loud belch or groan.

its located on the right side of the Throttle Body. Black item that sticks off of the side, about $70 if I remember, but do get a FORD product only, otherwise you will have to return the one from the local parts store more then likely.

Back