Autometer Guages?

T1Bird

What 2 Guages do people generally put on thier cars? I'm not into heavy modifing my car, at least not yet, but I've been debating on getting a water temp guage, and I dont know what to do for a second one on my 5 speed, so I've just been wondering what 2 are a good idea? what about the pyrometer for exaust gas tempatures? just little input would help thanks.

Dual Channel Guages

Dual Channel oil pressure guage, pump pressure & pressure at back of block
Dual Channel air temp guage, before & after IC

68COUGAR

I've been throwing this idea around for some time too as well. On a 5spd, I'm leaning towards the oil pressure, and water temp. But there are many combo's you could run. I guess it boils down to what YOU want to keep an eye on. EGT gauges will require you to remove your manifold, drill and tap a fitting(I'm sure I could help you with that ;) ). That gauge can tell you very quickly if your good to go, or not. O2 gauges are handy as well, at least I think so. They maybe light shows most of the time, but if you get a batch of bad gas, or an O2 takes a crapper, you'll know ASAP!

After being in my car you know how crappy the stock boost gauges can be. :rolleyes:

Just think of what YOU want to keep an eye on, and get that.

OR, you could run a triple gauge pod

I have a triple gauge pod from Lo-tek. Its hard to decide what is most important to keep track of. I'm running a vac/boost(b/c I will be running higher boost than the factory will read), oil pressure, and coolant temp. I will also be getting a tranny temp one as well to mount in another location. I do think coolant temp should definantly be one with these cars heavy modded or not. Auto meter guages will come with all the sensors and fittings so there will be no drilling. Yeah, the O2 fuel/air ratio gauge is handy but almost useless. The computer is reading the O2's so fast that the gauge cant really keep up. It just rapidly bounces around. My friend has one in his car and it just looks like light disco. Cant really tell when its good or bad even when his O2's went bad. Just my .02 cents :).

T1Bird said:
What 2 Guages do people generally put on thier cars? I'm not into heavy modifing my car, at least not yet, but I've been debating on getting a water temp guage, and I dont know what to do for a second one on my 5 speed, so I've just been wondering what 2 are a good idea? what about the pyrometer for exaust gas tempatures? just little input would help thanks.

Well, since you have a 5-speed, you won't need to keep an eye on Trans Temp, so personally I would go with Water Temp gauge and an Oil Pressure gauge.

Back