Rack and Pinion going bad?

chadder1313

Well i was at the beach and i was making a u-turn and i turned the wheel all the way and i heard a clunk and then i had no power stering. I went to the store and put some fluid and it all just squirted right out. I looked at the rack and the boots on both side look fine. The fitting in the midle is where all the fliuid is coming from. Does this mean the rack is bad? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Chad

There is a little plastic seal (washer) behind the fitting you are talking about. If it was installed incorrectly they will leak like a sieve. I haven't heard of them going bad but I would say it's entirely possible...

It's relatively easy to replace. Should be less than an hour. Of course, this is if you have actually seen the high pressure line fitting leaking. The one that comes from the PS pump to the rack. Wait a minute...the seal might be between the pump and the line instead of the rack and the line. I rebuild my 4.6 two summers ago and I can't quite remember where I disconnected the line, but there WAS a telfon washer that went between them. Might be the same for both ends...I'm not sure. It is also possible that your line is loose...tighten it with a line wrench (or try) and see if it moves. Wish I could be more help...

Back